I was talking to an art journaling friend via Facebook messenger and she asked, in all seriousness, what makes you an art journalist?
Hmmm...I didn’t know how to answer.
I’d say that having an intense passion for art journaling and practicing in my art journals on a regular basis definitely qualifies me as a “art journalist.”
Then I started thinking, there has to be a million ways to know you’re an art journalist....how about I share a few of those ways....
- You have a shelf (or more) of blank journals just waiting to be used;
(Photo by Loretta Benedetto Marvel)
- You’re not afraid of acquiring even more blank journals for that shelf;
- You have an Art Journaling board on Pinterest...with over 1,000 pins;
- You love to watch technique videos on YouTube;
- You realize that you own way more Washi tape than you remember buying;
- You will buy art supplies only after seeing if you can journal over it;
- You actually know what weight of paper you like best (I’m a #140 girl);
- You have stacks of magazines just waiting to be cut up for collage;
- You have a favorite doodling pen...and no one else can use it;
- You know how to pronounce Moleskine correctly;
- And gesso, too;
- You know what a Gelli plate is and how to use it;
- You can name ten different adhesives, know which are your favorites, and when & where to use each one;
- Your sewing machine has gotten more use on paper than it ever has on fabric;
- You own far more pens, markers, paint pens, etc. than you can ever use...but will NOT get rid of any of them;
- You know that deli paper has nothing to do with the Deli;
- You have favorite journaling artists and know their styles on sight;
- and on and on and on...
As I was working on this list, I kept cracking myself up because these are all things that 100% are ME! lol Do you see yourself in any (or all) of these? Well then, you might just be an art journalist.
I’m working on a post for Art Journaling Wednesdays about borders and shading and I hope to have it ready for y’all early in the week. Unfortunately, the hubs is still very sick and in pain so it’s back to the doctor with him tomorrow...I just hope they can fit him in.
Y’all keep on being kind to one another and to yourselves.
Back soon with more of the good stuff.
peace & love,