Sunday, January 25, 2015

Review: Pilot Frixion Erasable Markers

I’ve been on a self-imposed hiatus from buying any art supplies for a while. Last week I decided I needed a little treat so I bought a set of the Pilot Frixion Erasable Markers.

Even though I haven’t done any Supply Saturday posts in forever, I thought I’d give y’all a rundown on them.

0147a3187b5d53f6a064b9f8bb0617d86f030c2d39

First off, the colors in this set are beautiful. The set includes colors you don’t usually see in small sets like this, such as two shades of pink and a beautiful lime green.

On the downside of color, the black and brown both lay down color that is quite washed out, in my opinion. Streaky (is that a word) is another thing that isn’t so great but it only happens when using these markers to color in larger areas; if just using them to write or doodle, the color lays down fine.

01734397a90e2031afed4f6e91adee901efd309bcb

These are the colors included (although the light blue looks kinda turquoise here, it does look much better and is very much a light blue in person.) I put down a scribble of each color and wrote the color name in that color…duh. lol

Now let me tell you about the erasability (I made this word up, I’m sure of it!) of these markers.

Amazingly, they do erase. How well they erase depends on what type of paper you’re working on. The sampling I have here is on a piece of white cardstock that is somewhat absorbent and I ran the special eraser (each marker has an eraser tip on one end) down through the middle of the scribbled areas. As you can see, a good amount of the ink did disappear with just a few swipes of the eraser.

However, if you’re working on watercolor paper, it is almost impossible to get the colors to erase. But, alternatively, on a glossy or semi-gloss cardstock, it comes off extremely easy.

As for using them in my art journal, I can see using them when I’m on gesso, light acrylic paint, paper or collage, or in my planner/journal which I don’t layer the way I do in my regular art journals. I’ve tried using them over acrylic paint and, as long as it’s not super shiny, they go on fine. I do hate that they take a bit to dry but I guess that’s the price for having them be erasable.

All in all, I will use these until they run out, I’m sure, but there are markers out there that are the same price range that I would get a whole lot more use out of so I can see myself buying these again.

What do you think? Would these be a good addition to your art supply stash? I would love for you to let me hear what you think.

Now, back to my piddlings.

Peace & Love,
Barb

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I would ever use erasable markers, but I do LOVE that you are back weighing in on the pros/cons of various products ... I love hearing about others experiences, likes/dislikes ... helps when I go shopping for art supplies. So glad you're back! Great post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I really appreciate knowing what you experienced when trying them on different surfaces and such. I might try this out--every once in a while I do go into a "phase" where I just can't get enough of erasable pens. These would be a nice change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Pilot Frixion biro-type pens to mark fabric - the marks disappear when you iron them - which makes me wonder if these pens erase with the application of heat too?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...