Thursday, January 8, 2015

Art Journal Madness

I try to be creative every single day. Doesn’t mean it always works out but it does mean I try. My art journals are the one place I always, at the very least, make some marks in 99% of the time. Being creative doesn’t always mean hours of time spent on a project, although it’s great if you have that kind of time on your hands, but sometimes all you have is 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there.

I say, make the most of what you’ve got…in every way, time or supplies or creativity…just go with it.

014708bd94760cf6af10227832aa6b7465523d09ae

With this page, I started with a black gessoed background then traced my stencil (forgive me but I can’t remember the name of it but it’s by Crafter’s Workshop) with my white Uni Ball Signo um-153 pen.

That gave me all the boxes to doodle in and put my words here and there. I’d just play with it for a few minutes here and there and, over the course of a couple of days, it came together…a little bit at a time.

Don’t go thinking I’m all down and out and super depressed again, cause I’m not. It’s just what wanted (needed?) to come out as I worked on this page.

I do love the starkness of the black and white. It is fun to do something that is different from what I usually do.

Another page I 01d89ea5375d0cdcb06f8e5e7f07f7d4c435dcc1c5completed lately is another stray from my normal art journaling style. It’s really quite a mess but sometimes that’s what spills out so I’m trying to just learn to go with it and let it spill.

You can usually read everything I write in my art journals easily but this time I wanted some privacy to what I was journaling so I purposefully wrote overlapping each of the lines and throwing in some rather big flourishes. I’m sure it can be deciphered but these things make it much tougher to read.

I also did lots of just zen mark making…dashes, lines, dots…just doodling. This one is very NOT me but, like I said though, it’s good to step outside my comfort zone and do something new and different. It kinda shakes things up and expands how I work and play in my journals.

I think that the truth is that I’m still finding myself and my own personal style. This kind of experimentation is how we find ourselves creatively…how we can see what sticks.

We’ll see what parts of these experiments continue to show up in my art as time goes on.

So tell me, what kind of experimenting have you been doing lately? Do share, won’t you?

Peace & Love,
Barb

4 comments:

  1. These journal pages are so pretty! I love the contrast between black and white as well. I think you did a great job on your "out of your comfort zone" page. Sometimes when I want more privacy I overlap my writing, too. :) As for me, this year I want to play a little more with textures. I have collaged some, but I'd like to try incorporating it a little bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the overlap journaling, looks interesting on the page AND keeps it private, a genuine 2-fer! Also like the other page, love it actually .... so good to step out of our comfort zones b/c who knows, it might become the next one! Thanks for sharing, so glad you're back and sharing your amazing art.... !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both the pages - it is funny that I am not a very graphical 'grid' person but I traced a grid stencil onto my art journal page just yesterday and am working on it... kindred minds..? I am in ooh and awe over your second art page.. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that black and white page, especially the grid stencil! I looked through the Crafter's Workshop site of all their stencils and couldn't find it -- is it an old one? Love that grid!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...