Friday, December 5, 2014

Printing Block - Day 5 of #CarveDecember

I have carved stamps for a few years but I never felt very good at it. My lines were never thin enough or straight enough, my circles and curved lines were bumpy and lopsided, and I just never felt like the stamps I carved were “good enough.”

I think I have changed the way I think and feel about my carved stamps. Not because I think I’m any better now than I was before but more because I realize that those bumpy circles and wavy lines are part of what makes each stamp I carve unique…individual.

IMG_0028I have been checking out everyone’s stamps from this little December challenge and I am in awe of so many. I love Julie (Fei-fan Balzer) and her carved printing blocks for repeated patterns always amaze me so today I decided to try my hand at something similar.

I didn’t plan it out from the get go the way I do most stamps I carve. I’d draw a bit and carve those lines, then draw a bit more and carve, and on and on, so it just kinda grew.

I have to say, I’m pretty darn pleased with how this one turned out. I love it. I also love that the look changes depending on which corner is used as the middle of the printed piece. So cool.

I think I’m going to have to do some more of these type of stamps. Way fun to carve (think meditative) and I think they’ll be a blast to use in my art journals and in my art in general.

Keep on carving, y’all!

Peace & Love,
Barb

2 comments:

  1. What a beauty! Funny how meditative some activities can be for some, while the exact opposite is tru for others. For example, zen tangling tends to make me antsy while carving is soothing! I have a friend who says the same thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally buy that stamp ... best so far!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...