Sunday, December 8, 2013

Supply Saturday-Portfolio Water-soluble Oil Pastels

Hi y’all. Sorry I fumbled the ball and didn’t manage to get my Supply Saturday post done on time this week. No excuses, just didn’t find the time or plan ahead like I’ve been doing. I hope you’ll all forgive me.

This week I wanted to review a great little inexpensive and widely available supply for you, so let’s get to it...

20049-1009-2ww-m

Portfolio Series Water-soluble Oil Pastels – I am always looking for new and inexpensive ways of adding color to my art journaling pages and my art in general. The Portfolio Oil Pastels definitely fit both, color and cost effectiveness.

The color that these waxy, smooth and beautifully creamy pastels lay down is bright,  vibrant, and vivid, rivaling their much more expensive cousins, Creatacolor.

Once the color is laid down it can be smudged 20049-1009-1-2ww-mand blended into your pages easily with your finger or a soft cloth. You can also blend colors together easily, or they can be activated then blended with a watery brush like true watercolors.

They come in sets of 12 and 24 beautiful colors, costing around $4-5.00 and $7-9.00 respectively. I have bought or seen them for sale everywhere from your local Wal-Mart to Staples and Office Depot to Michaels and Hobby Lobby to Jerry’s Artarama and Dick Blick so they are really are everywhere making them available to everyone.

These great little oil pastels are a true win-win type of supply; you just can’t go wrong by purchasing them. For most art journalers, these will become a must have supply.

For all these reasons, I give the Portfolio Series Water-soluble Oil Pastels a solid 9, their only downfall for use in my art journals being that their waxiness makes them tough to journal over.

I hope this week has been a good one for everyone. Mine has been hectic but good. Now if I can just plow through the mountain of laundry so I can send the hubby and grandboy back to work/school tomorrow, I might be able to breathe a sigh of relief.

If you are finding Supply Saturdays useful, please take a moment to leave a comment and let me know. I could really use some suggestions for new supplies to review, also. I would love and appreciate the input, y’all.

Now, back to your weekend...I’m headed to the laundry room then to put up the Christmas Tree.

Back tomorrow with more of the good stuff.

peace & Love,
Barb

9 comments:

  1. I find it totally useful :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!!! Thank you so much, Nancy. You have truly made my day. It's tough sometimes when you feel like you're talking to yourself. lol I'm glad to know you're here and enjoying what you find here.
      Peace & Love,
      Barb

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy your journaling genius talks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet, Sharon. Love you!
      peace & love,
      Barb

      Delete
  3. Hi Barb! I found you! I have been having lots of problems with my IPad...need an update, I think (?) and have only been sending emails into cyberspace it seems. Anyway, I found you here while using someone else's computer and I wanted to thank you for visiting me and for your kind comments! Your tips on supplies are great. I use pastels from time to time, but have some new pan pastels that are unused as yet. I'm not sure how to use them...yet! Have a great new week and thanks again! ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very happy to see you here, Kathy. I will keep visiting you and hope you'll keep coming to see me here, too. I love my pan pastels but don't use them as much as I should...I just forget about them. lol
      peace & love,
      Barb

      Delete
  4. Hi Barb, thanks so much for these tips they are SO helpful!! I've been looking at these on ebay off and on for the past couple of weeks. I used to have them but got rid of them when we downsized into our caravan last year. We recently moved back into a house so I have more space for a few more supplies now. Our 24 pack are about $24 here, ouch! I agree with you about the lovely colors they produce and the difficulty to journal over. I also wanted to ask you about what you do when you close your art journal, my portfolios seemed to be a little sticky which caused the pages to stick together slightly. Do you use a fixative on pages where you used these? Or is there another trick you have for this issue? I love getting your posts every day, I subscribe to many blogs but yours is my very favorite, thank you!!
    Michelle in Australia xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle...I can't believe the Portfolios are so expensive over there. Sheesh! Even if you order through Amazon? Now, to answer your question, I do have pages that get sticky on me. Gel Medium is a big culprit for causing it in my journals but the oil pastels might contribute to it, too, I just hadn't thought of it. As for what I do to keep them from sticking...I sometimes put pieces of wax paper between very sticky pages and other times I will give the finished pages a quick spritz with some matte clear acrylic (true fixative is more expensive and I don't see the need to spend the extra money.) Those are the two ways I tend to deal with the dreaded sticky page syndrome! lol
      Thanks for the love and comments!
      peace & love,
      Barb

      Delete
  5. Thanks Barb that's really helpful, I will try that and let you know what happens.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...