Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Be a voice

I came across a quote one morning (it’s by Gretchen Rubin, the author of The Happiness Project website and book) and it really made me stop and think. The quote reads: “Things often get messier before they get tidier.” I realize that this is true for practically everything in life...

When I am making art, things get messy on the page or canvas before they get tidier and complete. When it was time to divorce Dennis, my first husband, things definitely got crazy messy before the divorce tidied things up in the end. When I decided to clean up my art studio a while back, it became a complete disaster with things everywhere as I rearranged, then, as things were put into their new places, it became tidy and neat.

I can’t really think of any aspect of life that it doesn’t apply to, in fact. I think, knowing that little bit of info, that I won’t be so scared of the messy parts of my life anymore because I know it has to get messy before it gets tidied up...things get crazy before they can be all tied up with a pretty bow.

That’s just how life goes.

On another note, as I am vigorously searching for my own authentic voice in my art,  another quote that has really hit home for me lately is:

Be a voice, not an echo.

voiceLet me say that again...

Be a voice, not an echo.

Talk about making me think! Those few words made me step back and view things in a different light. They give me clarity in a way that I have never found before.

Be a voice, an original, not an echo, not a replication of everyone else...do my own thing, however it might come to be or how it turns out instead of trying to copy everyone else.

That realization makes me even more sure in my thoughts that those sweet “girls” I see everyone doing are just not for me...that the crazy made up and spliced together animals aren’t really me, either..no cute and cuddly kitties or unreadable script handwriting, no mermaids or cutesy little houses, either.

Unless one of those speaks to me at some point in the future.

It’s okay to like what I like and use what I use and say what I say.

At this point in time, I might not have a strong, easily recognizable style like Kelly Kilmer or Teesha Moore but it’s okay to trust my own intuition as I create and I feel sure that my true style will continue to take shape. Practice is what makes anything improve...so that is what I will do, practice my heart out.

I’m learning and this life stuff is just getting better and better.

Peace & Love,
Barb

3 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to comment ... but something always 'comes up' ... but this topic really struck me. I am not a faces person. I do love houses, trees, owls and mushrooms. But I have not a clue what my style is or if I even have one. It frustrates me some, but I try to just go with the flow. Anyway, I liked your thoughts on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your post and fully agree with you !
    would be proud if you pop up to my blog to see what I do !
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always shocked when I read my name on a post. Barb, I've been following along (quietly) with your blog posts. They are fabulous.
    I always tell my students to just keep making. Don't worry about finding their voice or stressing about what they're doing. Play and experiment. The more you make, your voice will start to come out and it will sing loud and strong. Learn as much as you can and MAKE. The more you make, the better artist you will become.
    XO.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...