Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Art Journaling Wednesday-Images

My little Noah (the grandboy) came home from school sick and he’s been requiring my attention all day. You know what that means, right? Yeah, I am running behind on everything right now.

Sorry...

But here I am and here we go...

Although many art journalists don’t necessarily use images in their journals, I do so that’s what’s next in my way of doing things. There are a few different types of images that I use:

  • Border Images;
  • Focal Images; and
  • Supporting Images.

attitude2How to collect and how to use images is such an individual thing that it’s hard for me to just give an easy-does-it, one-size-fits-all explanation to this subject.

As seen at the left and as their names up there implies, border images are used to create a border or frame for your journal pages or spreads, focal images are used as the focal point of your page, and secondary images are there to support the focal image.

I was sorting through the mass of images I have collected over the past few years and realized how hard it was in the beginning for me to get comfortable with what images were good ones for me to use.

I know that if this was a big concern for me, this has to be a concern for most new art journalers.

I have a great suggestion for you...look at the magazines you already have and the ones you read often. You will have to look at these magazines in a different way, now with different eyes. Faces and hands, big eyes and landscapes, everything is fodder for your journaling. As you’re perusing your magazines, be especially aware of the images you are drawn to and what catch your eye. Save them, you never know what kind of burst of creative imagination might hit that will have you making use of some of those images.

Now look at some of the journal pages on my Art Journaling Tumblr and be conscious of which pages you are drawn to and which ones you don’t particularly like. This kind of conscious observation (and it’s okay to take notes to help you remember) is something that will help you to begin your collection of images to use in your art journal.

But what if the pages you like are those done in watercolored, hand-drawn images, or images done in pen or pencil, or maybe in colored pencil? This exercise in observing all different types of art journaling will help you realize just what kind of art you want in your journal. Heck, you might want to mix all of these types together for your own personal style.

In this great page by Michelle Rydell, one simple image was used...just the eyes...but what a great impact they make, huh?

A couple of other things I want to point out in this page...she didn’t see the need to fill every single space with writing. Sometimes what you need to say can be said in just a few words. Also, it is perfectly fine to have pages that are dark and brooding. We often have the need to put these emotions within our art journals...darker colors, and a darker mood are okay. Not everything in life or in art journals is going to be peaches and cream so explore that side of yourself and your life, too.

On the other hand, there are pages like this one from the wonderful Chickadeelove...lots of images, lots of writing/journaling and a bright happy yellow background. It just glows with joy, doesn’t it? That’s great, too. Notice how she cut her images all in the very same shape? It gives a feeling of continuity and makes, even totally differing photos mesh together quite nicely.

It is just endless the things you can do and discover and experiment with in your art journals....colors, shapes, textures, images, collage, drawing, painting, watercoloring, lettering and on and on and on.

What ever you like, whatever style or approach you take to YOUR art journaling, it is the right one.

Most likely, if you’re anything like many of us, you will go through many, many styles before you find your own personal style. It’s been over 5 years and I am continually growing and changing in my own art journaling.

This kind of self-discovery and growth is a huge part of the entire process of the visual journal. If you are dedicated to the process, you will get so much more out of it than you have ever imagined, not to mention the sheer enjoyment of the creative process.

Where are you finding the images for your collection? Have you thought of somewhere I haven’t mentioned? Do share, please!

I’ll be back soon with more of the good stuff.

peace & love,
Barb

6 comments:

  1. Self discovery and learning are the best parts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, wholeheartedly, Kathy...those are the "good stuff" I'm always talking about.
      peace & love,
      Barb

      Delete
  2. Love reading your blog and following your tumblr. You are my go to source for inspiration. Thank you! And I hope the grandboy feels better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Dominique, you made my day. I am so glad you are reading and finding inspiration. Thank YOU! And Noah is doing better this evening, thanks for thinking of him.
      peace & love,
      Barb

      Delete
  3. What do you use to stick down your images?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a few different things to glue my images down...glue sticks (I like Coccoina, Scotch Brand, and Uhu), gel medium and sometimes I use tape/washi. I'm all about using what you have, so that's what I tend to grab...whatever is close at hand. I hope that helps!
      peace & love,
      Barb

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...