Saturday, November 30, 2013

Supply Saturday–Liquitex Spray Paints

Well, Thanksgiving is behind us and so is Black Friday...that can only mean that Christmas is just around the corner. How did it get to be the end of the year already? I don’t know why I am amazed at the speed that life is passing these days but I am.

Lots going on around the Smith house today so I better get down to business, huh?

Since it is Saturday, you know what that means...yep, it’s Supply Saturday time again! YAY!!! A little something different on tap today...

  • Liquitex Professional Spray Paints – I love color. That comes as no liquitexsurprise to anyone that has seen this site, much less any of my art. I am always looking for new ways to incorporate color into my art journal and I have tried spray paints before...but the fumes. Besides, it’s not often that you find beautiful, vivid color in your average spray paint but not anymore.

I don’t know where I first heard of these beautiful spray paints but the price held me back from purchasing them for quite a while. At my local Michael’s store, they are $11.99 a can! But I love using stencils in my journal and they work so well with spray mediums so I broke down, using one of my 40% off coupons and bought a can of neutral gray 3 (not as harsh as black but the same idea.)

Still costing $7.20 a can with a 40% off coupon, that is still a bit steep for just one color but I wanted to try them so...

I am glad I did!

The color variety in these spray paints is phenomenal (100 shades), to say theliquitex colors least (see color chart), but the richness and depth of the colors is truly unique. They are a water-based spray paint so I find them easier to work with than Krylon or any other brand I’ve tried. They are very low odor, unlike your average spray paints and (don’t try this at home) I have used them in my studio with no ill effects or lasting odors (definitely not recommended, though.)

The colors match the Liquitex acrylic paint colors as well as the new line of Liquitex paint markers recently released, making these another great product from a trusted manufacturer.

nozzlesThe only pitfalls I have found (besides the astronomical price) are how quickly and easily the spray nozzles seem to clog. I have had to buy new nozzles for every can I have collected so far (only 7 but I’m buying one at a time with coupons) because they clog that fast and that badly. I do find if I turn the can upside down and spray until no more paint comes out, it clears the nozzle and no more clogging. But seriously, who has time to do that every single time you use the paint?

But I do like the colors so much that I am learning to make clearing the nozzle a habit. If you don’t think you can deal with that, these are probably not the spray paints for you.

Nozzles are available for separate purchase and they offer them in three different stream types: regular or standard line, large or thick line, and super skinny or fine line.

All in all, I give the Liquitex Professional Spray Paints a score of 7...the color and clean-up are fabulous, the constant nozzle clogging and high price are true downfalls to what could be a perfect product.

I hope that everyone is having a great weekend and your holiday has been wonderful and filled with love and family.

See you on Monday with more of the good stuff.

peace & love,
Barb
 

P.S. The winner of the Pilot PermaBall ink pen from last week’s Supply Saturday is: Michelle in Australia (A little bit of me time.) Michelle, drop me an email with your mailing address so I can get this pen out to you.

Thanks again, y’all.

5 comments:

  1. I believe I have 11 cans of these in various colors that I also bought with 40% coupons from Michael's, and unfortunately I found out about the clogging problem during a spray paint with stencil class I was demoing for my local art group! Ugh! That has been months ago and I just put them away and forgot them. I was so disappointed! I need to go to Home Depot and get those hand triggers for paint cans and then try to get them unclogged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liquitex spray paint costs $19.95 in Australia :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and am loving it! Your use of color is beautiful and I am inspired. I have been 'gathering' art supplies for a couple of months and needed the inspiration to finally get moving. I am a longarm quilter and love that medium, but have been wanting to get back to art that gets my hands dirty. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barb, you made my day! Thank you so much! I'm very excited to have won AND it's like a Christmas pressie for me.... anything art supplies... woohoo!!
    Thank you thank you!!!
    Michelle in Australia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barb I wasn't able to email you through this page as I can't access your email address, so I've sent you a message through your personal Facebook page with my address.
    Thanks again.
    Michelle in Australia xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...