Saturday, November 23, 2013

Supply Saturday– Lumocolors & PermaBalls

Happy Saturday, y’all. Saturday was my favorite day of the week as a kid...no school, cartoons on until noon, no early rising, just an entire day to enjoy and have fun. Those were the days.

Now that I’m an adult (in years, not so much in mind, LOL) and I think that Saturday is still my favorite day. That’s the day the Farmer’s Market is open here in Pensacola, and I do love the Farmer’s Market.

And since it is Saturday, you know what that means...yep, it’s Supply Saturday! YAY!!!

Today we have a couple of my newest finds so let’s get on with it...

  • Staedtler Lumocolor permanent marking pens- I came across these lumocolorspens/markers by accident while shopping at Staples office supply store. I certainly didn’t need any more markers, but something made me take a second look. There was a little claim in the corner of the front label that said Won’t Dry Out so I grabbed them. Am I ever glad I did! These are some great little markers. They cover well, give vibrant color, and they are permanent when dry.

There are many good things about these markers but guaranteed not to dry out? Could it be true? I wouldn’t be doing my duty reviewing if I let this little nugget pass me by without seeing if their claim is true. It is!! I took two of the markers and left them with their lids off, not just overnight but for a full 3 days (I was shooting for a week but I just had had to test them early) and the both worked perfectly! So I left them for another 4 days and yes, after a week they still worked. Wow! I am impressed.

Price-wise, these markers/penstip sizes are a great deal at $12.99 + tax (US) for an 8 pack which is very reasonable and you can find them even cheaper than what I paid, too. The Lumocolors come in various tip sizes (superfine, fine, medium and broad) as well as being available as singles and as a number of different size sets with a whole plethora of vivid, bright colors.

If you have kids, these are THE markers to buy...no more dried out markers so no more wasted money.

As an art marker/pen, I am using them for journaling over acrylic paints (they work marvelously) and for doodling and coloring in my doodles (such great color but they DO bleed through thinner papers), and adding detail to some of my art and art journaling pieces.

So, considering everything, I give the Staedtler Lumocolor markers a rating of 8...that is only because they do bleed through thinner papers and they don’t write over all surfaces or mediums.

I thought I would throw in another quick review today...

  • Pilot Perma Ball rollerball pens – I had seen these pens mentioned in a perma ballfew different places but when Julie Fei-Fan Balzer wrote that these are her absolute favorite pens, I had to try them. These pens are no longer produced or available in the US...EXCEPT through the Scarlet Lime shop. (If you’re in the UK where these are widely available and want to send me some, I will gladly buy them from you!) so I bought a couple and immediately fell in love. These are, dare I say, the perfect art journaling pen. There, I said it. LOL

The ink flows freely on most surfaces and I’ve even had luck writing over slick acrylics and some waxy mediums, too. With a 0.7mm rollerball point, the Perma Ball lays down a nice thick line of ink that is permanent when dry. Great for journaling and doodling, no doubt about it.

I have really fallen in love with these pens and wish that Pilot would bring them back to the US market. So Julie, you have another Perma Ball convert...I am convinced.

I give the Pilot Perma Ball rollerball pen a solid 9...the only drawback being that they aren’t readily available in the US.

I want to thank you for stopping by and, if you’ve made it this far and you’re still reading, I want to reward you for being so cool. (Tee hee) I will send one of my highly prized and coveted Perma Ball pens to a lucky reader. Just leave a comment on this post and I will draw a winner on Thanksgiving Day (US). Be sure to leave an email address where I can reach you if you win.

Don’t forget to let me know what supplies you would like to see reviewed and I will try hard to include them in a future Supply Saturday post.

Back soon with more of the good stuff.

Peace & Love,
Barb

**Disclaimer: Take my ratings as you will, these are my opinions only. None of the supplies I rate here have been provided by the manufacturer but have been bought and paid for with my own cold, hard cash.

7 comments:

  1. I am enjoying these posts, even though I have been "blocked" with my art work for quite a while. I am hoping that just by reading your suggestions, I will be motivated to pick up my journal and create. (I would love to win the pen!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Black Perma Ball pens are now my fave journaling pen! I also found them through someone and immediately bought 2. The Lumo's I have not tried, but there is a Staples in the next town over, so I might have to get some since they are so inexpensive! Keep up the good work here! I am so blog building/changing challenged, this blog was still on my favorite blogs I followed, when you started back up, I saw instantly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your site and I love it! Thanks for this give away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to get those pens here in Australia but no luck, I wish postage from the Uk wasn't so expensive! Thanks for another great blog.
    Michelle in Australia xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always interested in hearing about markers/pens, and would be thrilled to win this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across your blog looking for info on the Pilot pens above (I have a Staedtler which works great but wondered about the Pilot that was mentioned on the Documented Life Project FB page. It sounds like you have been art journaling for many years. I have been journaling for about 50 years but not art journaling until now. I have painted off and on, dabbled in scrap booking and am a stationary addict (lol) so art journaling is perfect for me. It never ceases to amaze me how life keeps popping wonderful things into my lap like this! Anyway, I digress. Do you know by any chance if the Pilot pens are available in Canada? Like at Staples, Michael's, Wal-Mart, Target? Thanks for this blog! It's amazing! Patricia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...