Monday, November 11, 2013

Fad or Must-Have?

Do you ever see those fads that burst onto the scene, whether it’s the art scene or the decorating scene or the fashion scene or even the craft scene. Those things that become the IT thing, the must have/must do thing? Yeah, I’ve been noticing more and more how many of those kinds of things we are inundated with on a daily basis, not to mention those that change like the scenery with each season and with each new year (like Pantone’s color of the year.)

I’m certainly not pointing fingers because I have bought into many of these fads in the past and I’d wager a bet that I will fall prey some in the future.

0136451442a60bb4917d96691d662c47948f5ab1beOne of the fads of late that comes to mind is, in the art world that I find myself most at home in, the whole Gelli Printing Plate craze (and yes, it is a craze.)

I held off a long time but eventually I did fall for this one. I have tons of Gelli prints and not a clue what to do with even 5% of them. I even bought Deli Paper since so many were touting how great it was for Gelli Prints.

Yeah, I’m a lemming.

Don’t get me wrong, I am using a few Gelli prints here and there, cutting some up to use in my art journal but not using near as many as I am producing. But I do admit, it’s fun making a mess with them...playing with color and stencils and mark making tools can never be a bad thing. But really, is it something we need?

*sigh*

01e0e385f7e8d0f5f6e959d3a26effb909ad87fa43
See, I do like playing with my Gelli Plate. This is one of my favorite prints...it’s on sheet music from the 1800’s

Another pet peeve I’ve developed lately is any product that manufacturers can churn out and call it an “art journal” or for “mixed media” or any of those key words. Magazines pop up all the time directed at a specific group in our DIY segment of the artsy world and, often, as much as I may love many of them, they often seem like they are really just a high priced book of advertising with a little art journaling (or quilting or jewelry making or whatever your scene might be) thrown in here and there.

Am I the only one that has noticed this kind of thing?

I remember when I very first started art journaling...in a plain Composition notebook...with cheapo gel pens from the Dollar Tree...with 2/$1.00 craft paints...and my favorite cheap, black felt-tipped pen. I had just as much fun then as I do now with my Moleskine journal, Prismacolor Pencils, Golden acrylic paints, Sukura gel pens, Micron black pens, etc.

I have more art supplies than I ever thought possible, buying bits and pieces over the past 8 years or so. I have amassed art supplies, jewelry supplies, journaling supplies, journals, supplies for bookbinding, drawing, stamping, stamp carving, sewing, and on and on. I love all of these creative outlets but do I really need more supplies just because they are now labeled as “for art journaling” or “for mixed media”?

This is just kind of where my head is at today.

How do you decide what supplies are must-have and which to pass on?

I hope you’ll share your thoughts with me.

Peace & Love,
Barb

11 comments:

  1. I totally hear ya! That is the question of the day, fad or not. I am doing a major purge of scrapbooking stuff that neither my daughter nor I will use. Praise the Lord, Melody Nunez is always open to receiving such bounty for her art classes for disadvanted youth, so my box(es) will be headed her way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe the gelli plate will help me experiment more help with blank paper syndrome
    As well as my procrastination. I made one today, can't wait 'till it sets up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...