Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Rituals

I ran across the following picture on the internet and it really made me stop and think about the rituals in my life.

I know that my rituals include my morning coffee and working in my art journals…but even those comforting parts of my day have undergone some changes lately. I hope to get back to my morning routine soon because I miss it dearly.

What is a ritual?

rit·u·al/ˈriCHo͞oəl/

Noun:

a series of actions or type of behavior regularly and invariably followed by someone.

The rituals in our lives do provide a great source of comfort. They give meaning to our everyday lives and provide a feeling of contentment and that all is right in the world. When we lose those same rituals, it can shake our foundations and leave one feeling, not only out of sorts, but also quite lost.

I think that might be what I’m feeling right now…a loss of the rituals in my life. I hadn’t realized just how much our move to Florida has really affected me but it really has, tremendously. I believe that if I can regain those routines that give me a sense of regularity in my life and create new ones that I will feel better and more at peace.

It also makes me wonder what kind of rituals others observe in their life. So tell me, what are the routines and rituals that give you comfort? What do you do daily or weekly that gives you a sense of peace.

I ask because I want to begin new rituals in order to give my life a greater sense of peace and comfort and, hopefully, my days will begin to have more meaning. 

Peace & Love,
Barb

2 comments:

  1. Gotta have my morning Coffee as soon as I get up. I am then on the (fun) computer for an hour and a half. Then to the (work) computer, then shower, then out the door. Always in that order. Funny, when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the idea of this post and plan to take more time to ponder this for a blog post of my own at some point.
    a few things come immediately to mind---each day I get family situated (out the door or doing their own thing on non-work days)then eat graham crackers with peanut butter and a big warm mug of tea with milk. I read in bed for awhile every night before going to sleep---and do NOT sleep well if I miss this routine. Every Tuesday morning a good friend and I talk on the phone to catch up. I'm sure there are more...but that's what comes to mind right now.
    Yes, you definitely need to build more rituals into your life. They are certainly a help in quickly settling in to a "new normal" when our lives have been disrupted---by illness, by a move, by the death of a loved one, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...