Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Paula Ain’t Right

Can someone explain to me what is up with Paula Deen? 

I mean, I am the first to pledge my undying love for her Gooey Butter Cake, I could eat my weight in the food from her restaurant, and I agree with her belief that butter makes everything better.

My problem with her is that she has forgotten where she came from.  Once upon a time she was long suffering single m,other with agoraphobia (fear of open spaces), stuck in her little Savannah apartment with a terrible fear of going outside. She still had to make a living and that’s how Paula Deen began her cooking empire. She made sack lunches and the boys, her sons, would deliver these lunches all over downtown. Then she made pies for the holidays, and on and on it went.

She was poor as a church mouse back in those days…but now she’s wealthy beyond belief. So why is it with her background that a simple set of measuring cups, pretty as they are, from her website store cost $179.95?!?!?!? Here they are, so tell me…would you pay $179.95 for these?

Are there really that many people out there with more money than sense that will spend these outrageous prices to buy this kind of thing? If so, I am in the wrong business! Well, figuratively speaking, of course, since I’m really in no business. You get what I’m saying.

*hushing now*.

Just something that struck me today.

Peace & Love,
Barb

8 comments:

  1. Heck no I wouldn't buy those. Sad, that wealth goes to some folk's heads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah - that is a great point. Maybe she put the decimal in the wrong place and meant to say $17.99 -- cause that's what I would be willing to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sure are pretty. Maybe she should have them made in plastic for us poorer folks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, sorry, I can't justify spending that kind of money on something that doesn't have a high-powered motor in it. I agree, Paula Deen needs to rein in her merch peeps.

    Great blog, btw. Been lurking for a few months via RSS & enjoy reading. Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to know that you all are with me on this whole Paula Deen thing. I really hate when money goes to peoples heads. Ugh!
    Peace & Love,
    ~Barb~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on this. They are pretty but not THAT pretty. I guess the idea is to make as much as possible while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's those dadgum marketers! Paula Deen made a name for herself through hard work and good cooking. Her marketing department realized that her name SELLS! I doubt if Ms. Paula herself had anything to do with the design, marketing or price of this item. It would be really nice if we (her admirers) could catch her ear and bring to her attention that perhaps the items bearing her name are slightly (I mean insanely) out of our price range... the price range that used to be her own. Marketing is a tricky little thing - I talk about it on my blog: www.theholeinmyhandbag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love her measuring cups, but I would NEVER pay that much for them...wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...