Guess What?

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Emotional Work

Do y’all remember the sketch that I started while I was dealing with my broken shoulder back in December and January?

This sketch is the one I’m talking about:

I know that a whole lot of people do portraits but I’ve never really done them…and she’s not exactly a portrait anyway, She’s just this idea that came into my head. And she sat on my sketch board at the side of my bed for the past 5 months…staring at me.

Today I woke up and before I could even get a cup of coffee I had an uncontrollable urge, no…make that an uncontrollable need to go straight into my studio and do something, anything with her. I felt like she had sat patiently waiting to become something and today was meant to be her day.

I spent the entire day in there, painting and collaging and shading and changing and doing all those creative things that we do when we’re working on a new piece.

The strange thing is that it was an overwhelmingly emotional day. I cried off and on the entire time I worked on her; I cried off and on, mostly on, for the entire day. Sobbing cries. Gut wrenching, tearful cries that I came from somewhere deep inside me…some place I didn’t know existed.

Pretty Girl

I just don’t know why working on her affected me like that…nothing like this has ever happened to me.

It’s very strange, indeed.

She’s still a work in progress but I really hope that when I return to work on her tomorrow that it’s a little less emotionally charged.

That’s how I spent my Thursday…how was yours?

Peace & Love,
Barb

5 comments:

  1. Wow, she's lovely! Nice that she kept you company all that time, and waited till you were ready to get those feelings out.
    I hope tomorrow goes easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now forgive me in advance if I am reading more into it than is but could it be that so much has happened in that short time that when working on her it all came up in a rush? From the health issues you were experiencing, your sister's, the tornadoes, giving away so many things and uprooting your life to move into your dream life? Just thinking it could be a simple act of release and not a bad thing if it was. Glad to hear that all went well with the move, that you two are settling in and enjoying Fla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb, I am so glad to hear that your move to FL is complete & that you are settling in nicely feeling better than ever? At least, better than lately :)

    Your sketch is lovely and it is even more lovely after all the work you put into it yesterday.I agree with Christy, that it sounds like you just needed to RELEASE. I hope working on her today is going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Barb, she is beautiful. I wonder what she would tell you if you asked her to speak.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...