Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Honesty & Inspiration

I find inspiration all over the place…and I’m not just talking about inspiration for my creative endeavors, either. I am talking about LIFE inspiration, those things that you run across every so often that give you pause and make you think (and rethink) how you go about things or even how you see or think about things in your own life.

Beach

One thing I’ve come across lately that has been very Life inspirational for me…Shannon at Nourishing Days gave me such a feeling of, for lack of a better way to describe the feeling, the “It’s not just me” ahh’s with her post: Of Home, Grime, Me & Contradictions. Read it and I bet you’ll feel the great sense of relief that I did with her wonderful words and photos.

Oh my, how I love it when something drops into my lap that just makes me feel good, nourishes my soul, lifts me up.

That post certainly did just that for me.

Heart in Hand

I think we all know how down I’ve been over the past few months, it’s quite apparent in my attitude in my blog posts…I’m depressed. I admit it. I keep trying and I always will but it’s a chemical thing for me and it gets terribly worse during the winter. I think it’s one of the reasons this move to Florida has me so excited…I won’t be facing cold, dreary winters so maybe I’ll feel better.

Anyway, I went to the psychiatrist today.

It’s like I’m making some crazy admission by posting that here but I know there is no shame in seeing a psychiatrist. I gotta do what I gotta do and I’m trying to get a handle on this depression of mine and where it comes from, too.  I cried about two buckets full of tears today.

heesh, why do I do that? I cry so easily; always have.

Anyway, another way that I get my heart smiling and my soul lifted to new heights these days (and today I really needed it!!!) is through the tremendous love I feel through the Goddess Circle. If you don’t know about Goddess Leoni, you should…her spirit is so infectious that you can’t help but feel better just by reading her words or watching one of her videos. You should really think about treating yourself to the Goddess Circle, I promise you won’t regret it!

It’s helping me in ways you can’t imagine.

Since I’m being all full of honesty here today (might as well get used to it, it’s my goal that honesty is going to be the new way of things around here)…anyway, ya know how I was talking about how some artists and creatives do all this fabulous traveling and living the high life in my post the other day?

I know that none of those that I’m talking about do it without a whole lot of hard work, dedication and a little bit of luck…and I said I wasn’t being jealous but, after looking at it really hard, I think I was being jealous in a way. It was a comment left by a wonderful friend that made me realize that about myself (thanks, Kelly.)

Hey, I’m just being honest.

But…BUT…I also realized that I haven’t put the hard work, dedication and time into things as they have. I know this. I am aware of that fact. (Honesty, remember?) If I want any of those things that I admire and, yes, am a bit jealous of, then I must put in the time, the long hours and be 100% dedicated to achieving my dreams cause they won’t just fall into my lap.

Leonie is helping me to see that, too.

So is my psychiatrist.

So, how do ya like this honesty stuff? I’m not sure if I do or not. lol

Peace & Love,
Barb

P.S. If you haven’t already, be sure to leave a comment on THIS blog post for a chance to get a free copy of Somerset Life.

8 comments:

  1. I applaud your honesty and hope you will find a medication (or other approach) that works for you. I'm a longtime proponent of getting mental health issues "out of the closet." There is a wealth of help out there for depression and anxiety, but many people are ignorant about it and won't seek the help they need. So often (as in my family) it's a matter of chemicals and genetics -- and can be cured or treated with medication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honesty is the new era of life. Run with it and feel it flowing through your soul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honesty is always beautiful. When you are vulnerable you are lovable and in relationship. I appreciate it and connect much more with you through your honesty.

    Psychiatry is tricky stuff. Adjusting to meds can be hard and sometimes you gotta try a few out before finding the right one. But your neurotransmitors will thank you once you do find the one that works the best!

    If you need anyone to chat with - please email me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I adore you, sweet Sharon, my wonderful friend. I will run with it and oh how good it feels. Thank you for always being so supportive of whatever crazy, off the wall route I head down.

    And Teri, thank you for your kind words. I was so hesitant to put my stuff out there and especially the P word (psychiatrist lol) since so many people see mental illness as a sign that you're nuts. I think you're right, we have to bring these issues out of the closet and, I guess, I'm doing my part. Thank you for helping me not to feel so strange about it all. I needed that!

    Peace & Love,
    ~Barb~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the honesty is great. Congrats on taking steps to get a bigger handle on your depression. I hope your sister is feeling better. That is great that you were able to be there for her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have followed your blog for awhile now (love the new header!), and this post called out to me. I, too, also suffer with depression. And suffer it is, right? I have barely posted on my blog in the past few months. I've been sliding downhill for awhile, and the ONLY thing that scared me enough to really pull together my resources was almost getting fired at work. Twice. Yah. That scared me enough to RUN to my psychiatrist to up/add meds, and do everything possible so I don't lose my job.

    Its hard. I'm still terrified each day that I am going to make a mistake that will finally get me fired. Any little thing that goes wrong sends me spiraling into tremendous self-hatred.

    That being said--I AM working on it, and I keep trying. Many days I don't know why, but days like yesterday keep me around. I finally had the urge to paint for the first time in months and months.

    So, keep on keepin' on! (sorry this was so long)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey,Do not let depression be who you are. Keep it in it's place by living on and enjoying the good days and trudging forward, even slowly, through the not so good days. Look for joy and peace and purposefully turn your thoughts away from frustrations and hurtful events. You deserve, by being who you are inside, to let the true you enjoy this life.
    Blessings, Tootie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you, I lost you and now I have found you again!! I love your honesty--it's good for you to get things out in the open and good for those of us that are helped by knowing we are not alone in our thoughts and feelings. I also suffer from depression, mine is debilitating at times. I HAVE lost a job to depression--the best job I ever had or ever will have (I'm 58 now so I plan on retiring from my current job.) My depression keeps me from doing the one thing I love best in the world--my art!! So, thank you for sharing and for writing such a wonderful blog!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...