Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Word for 2011

I’ve been very quiet around here lately and by lately I mean the past few months, not just the past few weeks. I’ve been very busy inside my own head, thinking and remembering, planning and seeking. Sometimes I believe we all need time away from the hustle and bustle and general loudness of the outside world just to be still with our own thoughts in order to find some peace, find some answers, or even just to allow that quiet to penetrate our soul.

That is what I’ve been using much of my time for (in addition to trying to heal my beat up, wore down, sickly body) since leaving work on August 1st.

I’ve discovered lots of things that I hope to share with y’all over the next few weeks (months?) but one thing that is really hitting home with me right now is the idea of living more simply…and by simply I mean with LESS. I know, the idea of living with less in this age of rampant consumerism is quite blasphemous, especially for an artist who really wants you to buy her art and her other goods, but stick with me here. I swear it will make sense eventually.

I was in Wally World (what we call Walmart ‘round these parts) a few weeks ago mindlessly picked up a new brand of glue stick. When I got home and went to put that single $2.00 glue stick with my other art supplies, I realized something really scary. I realized that I already had (oh, how I hate to admit this) 32 other glue sticks. Seriously. Who, in their right mind, needs 33 glue sticks? Apparently I do, sadly.

In my defense, when Walmart had their school supplies on clearance, I bought Elmer’s Glue Sticks for next to nothing…lots of them! Add those to the other glue sticks I already had…Scotch brand, Coccoina, Uhu, Ross, you name it, I have it…and I thought I needed just one more stupid glue stick. (I won’t go into how many other adhesives I have because then it would get seriously frightening!)

*rolling my eyes*

Do you see what I’m getting at?

How many things are there that we do this way? Our paints or brushes? Artsy or crafty gadgets, pens, markers, paints, stamps or inks? And not just art supplies, either… how much makeup or perfumes do we need? Or nail polishes? And how many clothes do we all really need (or actually wear, to be honest)? How many kitchen gadgets, tshirts, placemats, sheet sets, books, DVDs, purses, or yes, even shoes do we really need?

I know, I’m probably freaking out some of you chicas out there by implying there are limitations on shoes but let’s be honest here…you don’t seriously need 147 pair, do you?

THIS is what I mean by simplifying in the New Year and throughout 2011.  I have called a 100% hiatus on buying ANYTHING outside of groceries and household NEEDS (toilet paper and that kind of thing) for our household. We absolutely do not have the extra money since I can’t work anymore and the truth of it is that we don’t need so much ‘stuff’ in the first place!!

Do you?

So, even though I’ve attempted it before, this time I’m completely committed to paring down and really making our life and home much more simple by way of less stuff! No more thrift shopping and buying just because it’s a ‘great deal’ and no more buying stuff off the clearance racks since I’m saving so much money (if ya didn’t come into the store for it, even if it’s free it’s not a good deal…all it does is clog up your space!)

Simplify_Organize

Simplify, simplify, simplify…that is my motto for the coming year. That is my word, my goal for all of 2011.

What is yours?

Share with me, won’t you?

Peace & Love,
Barb

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I hear ya! It's not "clutter" - it's "too much". I, too, am committed (not least for financial reasons!) to USING UP STUFF this coming year.

    OTOH, I am slightly envious of the diversity of your glue sticks - here it's pretty much either UHU, Bostick, or no-name brands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been doing this for almost a year now. It is amazing what you do not need to have. What you can do without (and not miss it). Now when I buy art supplies, it is because I need them, or because I have been saving to get them. They get used, not stored. It has also helped me to get more serious about my art, it isn't just play anymore. That said, this year my theme is to 'loosen up' with my painting, not have so many self made rules for what I paint or how I paint. Here is to an amazing 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I might need to use it someday! LOL

    nah..I hear ya. I really need to clean out my clothes closet and quit hanging on to the ones tagged "but I might wear it/fit back into it SOMEDAY".
    I downsized a lot when I moved in over here, but evidently not enough. Or maybe I just need to downsize Greg, when he goes to work! LOL

    Happy New Year to you Honey...sure wish we could celebrate together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am working on something similar. The true test was when I was in DSW to buy new sneakers - which are actually needed since my other pair are falling apart and making my feet hurt - and I saw some adorable shoes and oh-so-me shoes on sale. I seriously carried them around the store and tried them on for over an hour before waving goodbye and just buying what I needed alone. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree wholeheartedly. I don't buy much stuff, I would much rather make stuff.
    I am excited to hear that you are refashioning clothes as well. I look forward to seeing what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have achieve simplicity for myself and home. I really was able to do this after coming to the realization that I needed a place to live my life--not store my life. That really helped me let go.

    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously began to get rid of stuff last year, but I still have a good ways to go, especially with the art supplies. I've decided to take classes instead of buying more stuff. I've given stuff away and will continue to do so. And, I am seriously committed to using my stuff to make some stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...