Monday, September 20, 2010

You May Say I’m a Dreamer…

I’ve spent a lot of time in my life dreaming. Time spent imagining and visualizing the perfect life for us, house, and circumstances. I think we’ve all done this but many of us, as we get older, slowly stop doing this kind of dreaming and fall into the trap of just accepting our lives as they are and fail to keep the dreamer and visionary in us alive. We let this childlike wonder and hunger for something better just die away. We become too busy being responsible adults.

I have realized that is just not an option for me. I can’t let my soul and my spirit shrivel up and die…that’s what I believe happens to those who give up on dreaming.

I may be in constant pain and whine about it all to often here but inside, in my mind, I am constantly dreaming of the life that gives me peace and inspiration…the place that feeds and nurtures my soul and my creative self. One thing I do know is that place is not here in this small Alabama town. I have felt nothing but drained and ill since moving here, as though this place is just sucking the life right out of me.

What am I (ever so slowly) getting around to saying?

Well, for a few weeks there has been a plan in the works…a life plan for the hubby and I…one that we’ve only let a very, very few in on since we do not want to hear any of the negatives that others so often seem to throw at dreamers like us. But I’ve decided that it’s time to speak here about it because so much of what I’m doing these days is directly or indirectly related to the dream…

Coming up on or about May 1st, a mere 223 days or 7 months & 11 days, we are packing our scaled down belongings into a Uhaul, hooking our car up behind it and heading for the Florida coast to live our dream. A place where I can paint and create all day and Richie can pursue the job of his dreams, too.

Our dream of living on a sandy beach, playing in the waters edge (and watching our little Chloe play in it, too), hearing the waves lapping at the shore from our porch and through the curtains as we drift off to sleep. Our dream of living peacefully with the blue-green waters as our neighbor, seashells and sand beneath our toes as our evening respite, seagulls and sand crabs as our little wildlife friends, and beautiful sunrises and sunsets to start and end our days.

There is nothing stopping us. I firmly believe that the biggest obstacle that keeps each of us from our dreams is our own fear and we, together, have let go of any fear of beginning a new life, one of our own choosing.

We have chosen our place we want to go, we’re starting to slowly downsize our belongings, we are working on a new job that is the answer to what the hubby dreams of doing for a living, we’re working on the financial aspect of moving and starting a new life, and we’re doing all the other things needed to prepare for this wonderful adventure. No fear, just excitement.

My grown children live with us right now but we’ve told them they have to move out by November 1st…this will give them time to settle into being grown-ups and to learn to deal with their own responsibilities before we are too far away to help them if they absolutely need it. I want them to be happy and healthy and on their own and there is no better time to start their lives, away from Mom & Richie, than now, while we’re still nearby because soon we won’t be.

I’m sure there are some of you that are thinking we are crazy and that’s okay. Nothing great was ever achieved without great risk and we are willing to risk it all in order to have it all.  What is “it all?” Finding peace, loving the surroundings we live in and that we can thrive in, doing what we love (which is art for me, you all know that) and creating the life we want to live.

It’s not a dream anymore, it is a reality…a reality that we are working ever so hard toward and that we have a plan to obtain…and we will. We are. It’s on the horizon and I absolutely can’t wait.

So, if you wonder why I keep ridding myself of art supplies on my Etsy or selling artwork that I had previously thought I’d keep forever, why I am doing all this selling on eBay or any of those sorts of thing…it’s all for the dream. To finance the dream and to downsize our stuff since the dream is to have a little cottage right on the Gulf of Mexico so we don’t need all this stuff. We need to really streamline our belongings…from clothes to books and I know I have to really got to streamline my art supplies.

So, be sure to check out my Etsy shops for goodies at great prices (if you see something you like, email me an offer…I won’t be offended.)

That’s what is new with me. Kind of a biggie, huh?

What’s new with you guys?

Peace & Love,
~Barb~

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You are the only one that can make it happen! As someone once told me "No one is coming!". It's your dream to make come true and I admire you and your husband for taking the action to make it a reality. You got the rest of your life to live wherever you want...might as well make that start sooner than later!
    I'm jealous! I need to work on my dreams...you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.

    This is so incredibly inspiring...I am SO incredibly overjoyed for you and your hubs (fully aware you have no idea who i am...LOL)

    Amazing. Fabulous. Wonderful.

    You rock.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes a change of geography is exactly what a person needs. I should know, I just moved across the country, sight unseen, to South Carolina. Granted, I've only been here a few weeks, but I'm content with my choice no matter who thinks it was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it's crazy. I think it's totally kickass!

    Kudos on having the guts to go ahead and to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! Good for you guys. That is what I need to do. I need to dream more. Thanx for making me see that, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats awesome. Good for you for believing in your dreams and encouraging each other to follow through!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats for coming out of the closet! I think you'll be so happy! and you may even find some of your pain disappearing because the life wont be being sucked out of you. happiness really cures many things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Barb! This is a big thing you are doing but it is awesome! I pray that everything falls into place for you. You are blessed because you have the option to live in Florida, here in Canada we have zero choices for nice warm sunny, tropical places to live ~ I wish! My dream place would be Arizona. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this post from Kelly Kilmer's blog...
    I think you are my new HERO! Go for it!!!
    Emie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic - I've never been here before (came via a link in Kelly Kilmer's blog)- but I'm delighted to read this both for you, and for me because I really needed to read something so positive today! I wish wonderful things for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yay! That's *so so* exciting!! Good for you, chasing those dreams - can't wait to hear how everything goes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi I just stumbled across your blog, and I think this post is amazing. I am so happy for you! You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...