Sunday, September 26, 2010

Into the Groove – A Micro-Workshop

I have taken a number of online workshops and classes in the past few years and have loved most every one of them. Each instructor/teacher has a different way of doing things because, let’s face it, we’re all individuals so we’re going to put our stuff out there in different ways. Some have instructed or led mainly by video and others more through writing/pdf’s and each way is great because it fits the subject and the teacher.

One thing that most have in common is the price, usually in the $50-$75 range…not extremely expensive but a little more on the high side when so many of us are hurting financially. Sometimes it can be hard to scrape up that kind of extra money all at once…I know this feeling too well. There are a couple of classes starting soon that I would really love to take but I just don’t have an extra $60 or $70 bucks right now.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I have a bit of an answer to the dilemma…I am going to offer Micro-Workshops.

What in the heck is a Micro-Workshop? 

Instead of being 6, 8 or 12 weeks long and consisting of just as many videos and tons of downloads and pdf documents, my Micro-Workshops will be priced at a very reasonable $10-$15 each and will consist of 1-2 videos and a workbook.handout in pdf format.  Each micro-workshop will offer you the opportunity to  focus on one area intensely without requiring weeks of time to devote to it.

Think of it as taking steps in the direction you want to head…just one step at a time.

I still have workshop videos and workbooks from previous classes I’ve taken that I’ve never finished. Doesn’t mean they weren’t good, not by any means, just that they were long enough that I lost interest.  With a Micro-Workshop, that won’t be a problem…small and focused so there is no chance of losing interest when it’s short and sweet but intense. No long term commitments, no weeks or months invested, no big financial investment, either, but lots of new ideas, information and tons to learn, none the less.

The first Micro-Workshop I’m offering is Into the Groove, open beginning October 18th, 2010. 

If you want to begin your own art journal, learn what it takes to create great art journal pages, and begin creating them in your own unique style…this is definitely the workshop for you. No information overload, just the basics…and it’s affordable, too. Just $15.00 gets you in the class…and everyone of every skill level is welcome and will take away new knowledge and ideas.

What do you get?

  • A 60 minute video taking you from the intimidation of the blank page through the stages that create a great journal page…not meant to tell you just how to do it but to inspire & encourage you to find your own, individual style and to create journal pages from your soul. I will give you the tools and the encouragement to find your true journaling spirit.
  • A workbook in downloadable, printable pdf format to read, refer back to, and to inspire you along the way. It contains nudges to get you moving, creative ideas, a few techniques, a bucket load of prompts and lots of motivation and encouragement as you find your journaling groove.
  • A members-only private blog (and Flickr group) where you can ask questions, post your accomplishments (and there will be many, I promise), and make friends with like minded art journalists like you…newbies and old hands, alike.  The blog will remain active for 6 months, giving you plenty of time to explore and play and make friends to enjoy the journey with.
  • Me. I will be available to you most days through email, Twitter and on the workshop blog. I will be available to answer your questions, give critiques or offer ideas or encouragement (or maybe a little nudge here and there to push your journaling  just a little further).

For $15.00, you just can’t beat this great deal.  So, if you’re someone who has wanted to start art journaling but you don’t know where to begin, if you’re looking for a creative outlet, maybe you want to find a way to tell your story or express yourself and nothing has “fit” yet, or maybe you just want to some fresh ideas to make pages with a newfound joy, make the decision to join me on the journey Into the Groove, won’t you?

Into the Groove – Micro-Workshop
Open beginning October 18th, 2010

Be sure that your paypal email address is the address is where you want your workbook emailed to you…I will send them out on opening day (October 18th) along with the address of the workshop blog and the password to get into the blog. That is where you will find the video along with all the support and art journaling goodness that is going to get you Into the Groove!

Be sure to grab a button for your blog, too.Icon

I am so looking forward to sharing this journey with you…it’s going to be a blast.

If you have any questions, leave me a comment (be sure to leave your email address, too) or drop me an email at: craft4therapy (at) gmail (dot) com…I’d love to hear from you.

Oh, and I’ll be doing a giveaway entry into the workshop of not one but TWO entries (one to the winner and one for the winner to give away on their blog) in the next week so be sure to keep checking back!

Peace & Love,
Barb

10 comments:

  1. Barb, I'm so jealous. Right now even $15 is something I don't have - stupid grad school! But I just want you to know I think this is an AWESOME idea and you have my full support! Good luck with your classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea! I"m one of the 'never-finishes-the-long-classes' people because i find it's sometimes an information overload or i get side-tracked with one aspect and never go back.

    This is definitely going to fill a gap....

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hey!! I want to sign up but the PP button is not working right now. I will check back later. Thanx for jumping in with both feet. I know this will keep your mind busy and not thinking about unpleasant things. Woo Hoo, can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great! I am marking it in my calendar to sign up and pay! I just opted out on a 6 week class that cost 75.00! Just didn't want to spend that. This will be better because I feel like I already kinda know you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I fixed those crazy Paypal buttons (even thought I can't get the one in the post to center) so they work now and you should be able to sign up and pay. It's going to be great fun and I am so looking forward to fun, learning times with everyone.
    Thanks!
    Peace & Love,
    ~Barb~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your post on milliande and thought I'd see what a Micro class was. What a fantastic idea! I love the concept and you are right on. I keep telling myself that I have to "finish" my other online classes before I start another one, but if I "won" this one... wouldn't that be a blast? LOL. I'm going to check back often for your next classes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a truly wonderful idea!
    I like everything about it!

    Thanks for a great opportunity!
    Anita ♥
    http://aseknc.blogspot.com/
    http://asesaj.blogspot.com/
    aseknc(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I have paid and can't wait to check this out. Thanx my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also saw your message on Millande and then realised, when I saw your etsy ad, that I have just bought supplies from you. Cool. So, your idea is simply awesome. I'm all up for knowing more about the giveaway, too, always a good move for getting people to know about what you're doing. Best of luck with it, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea, too! I'm going to give it a try! nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...