Saturday, August 7, 2010

Supply Saturday 1.7

Because of the wonderful 30 Journals 30 Days last Saturday, I missed yet another Supply Saturday…it wasn’t for lack of being around, I just felt like the 30 Journals 30 Days post was important so I let it be my focus last weekend.

It’s a new weekend though and time for another edition of Supply Saturday so let’s get at the goodies…

Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabbers by Ranger– I’m not much forpaint_dabbers gadgety supplies but after coming across these, I have had to amend my  distaste for trying “gadgety” things. I read on someone’s (I believe it was Pam Garrison but I might be wrong) blog one time that they liked to put acrylic paint with a little water in empty bingo dauber bottles and use them to smoosh paint on their work. That idea stuck with me but I couldn’t ever find any empty bingo daubers to buy so I had to put the idea on the back burner. It was that idea that made me want to try the Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabbers since that idea seemed similar to what Ranger was offering, already fixed up and ready to go. A purchase on Ebay brought me four sets of three dabbers and I found that I really like them. As for the paint that is contained in the dabbers, it’s a fair (not great, by any means) quality acrylic paint and comes in 39 colors. It’s not really the paint that I’m so enamored with but rather the delivery method, through the spongy dabber. It makes applying paint through stencils, on edges (although it says not to rub the dabber sponge across your work, I do it anyway), and just to spread and smoosh the paint in a different way than with a brush or your fingers. The paint really isn’t the best quality and is easily washed or worked away so you’re not getting a Golden’s quality paint with these but they are fun to play with and different way to paint. So, on a scale of 1 to 10, I give the Adirondack Acrylic Paint Dabbers by Ranger a score of 6. (Note: if the quality of the paint was improved, I would score them much higher but even with the quality of the paint lacking, they’re still worth trying out.)

Sukura Gelly Roll Glaze Pens – I have to admit, I am a pen addict. Gelly Roll I love having tons of choices when it comes time to write or letter in my art journals or when I want to add some doodling to any art piece I’m working on at the moment. I’ve tried the cheapo gel pens you can get at the dollar store and they are fun for adding some color to your pages but they are not good for writing over glues, acrylic paints or mediums or really for writing on anything other than straight, plain papers. When you want to add color and dimension to your pages or your art piece, reaching for any Sukura pen is the way to go…and the Gelly Rolls are some of my very favorites, especially the Glaze.  The lines that these great pens lay down is .7 mm wide so it lays a good bit of color on the page, and the lines are raised adding a 3 dimensional quality with a wonderful glossy finish. You can even write on glass with them, how cool is that? When it comes to color, they come in lots of beautiful colors and can also be purchased in sets that just can’t be beat. I’ve used them to write on almost every surface you can imagine, from glues and gel mediums, to acrylic paints, to spray painted surfaces, and they come through for me every time. Like other pens, they will not write on oil or watercolor pastels without skipping (and those things also clog your pens, so be careful) but you’re not going to find much that will write on those surface treatments. Bottom line? I adore the Gelly Roll Glaze Pens by Sukura so, on a scale of 1 to 10, I give them a 10…they are the epitome of a great product.

There you have it, this weeks Supply Saturday…full of color this week, now that I look at it. I guess I was just in a colorful mood this evening.

On the subject of supplies, if you’re in the market for Sharpie Water-based Paint Pens, I have lots listed in my Etsy…13 color sets, 10 color sets, a set with ultra fine line gold & silver, as well as a set that has black & white. Just a little reminder for those of you that might be in the market for some…besides, the black & white and the gold & silver sets are both new.

I hope your weekend is going great. Back with more soon…

Peace & Love,
Barb

3 comments:

  1. I so love Jelly Roll pens and I have a tons of those dabber paints, both are the best fun. Thanx for sharing your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Barb - the dabbers look interesting. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can try orientaltrading.com they sell the empty daubbers as well as the 'mini misters'. then you can create your own daubers wiht the paint and colors you want.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...