I’m quite sure that y’all all know that I’m truly a Southern girl…born, raised and lived in the South my whole life. One thing about us Southerners is that we, at least 99% of us, love our sweet tea (and the other 1% are figured to be infiltrators from north of the Mason-Dixon, but that’s neither here nor there. LOL) None of that hot tea with lemon or honey kinda stuff for us…we want the real thing! A big ol’ glass full of ice and that golden brown elixir sweetened to perfection with nothing but real sugar.
And don’t try putting mint sprigs in there or flavoring our tea with strawberries or raspberries, either…we’re purists and want our tea to taste like tea, not fruit juice. Although there are a few out there that like lemon in their iced tea, I am not one of them…just give me mine straight up.
Yes, that is the epitome of southern living…sweet tea.
Now, being diabetic, I don’t indulge myself in sweet tea very often but sometimes the urge, the absolute yearning for a huge glass of that heavenly brew gets so strong that I just can’t resist, so I give in to it. Today is one of those days. I make some of the best sweet tea there ever was, if I do say so myself, thanks to my Momma and I am looking forward to an icy cold glass with supper tonight.
If only I had thought to make cornbread and had some fresh tomatoes to slice with our meal it would really be southern heaven.
Tell me, what is it that epitomizes where you are from the way sweet tea does for me? What do you yearn for when you need a taste of home?
Peace & Love,