Saturday, August 21, 2010

Petty Much?

There’s been something bothering me for a while now…just nagging at me here and there and as much as I’d like to think I’m above letting the little things bother me, truth is that I’m not. I still have a bit of that 16 year old girl in high school burrowed up inside of me somewhere and she comes out on occasions; this is one of those occasions.

There are people in the art community that I have known online, have taken classes from, exchanged emails with, even gone so far as promoting their art-work and workshops and generally thought I have been a good “friend” to…and yet, once their stuff (for lack of a better term) has taken off and they are idolized by the masses, it’s as though they don’t know me anymore. It’s as though if I’m not lining their pockets by taking their latest class or whatever else they’re hawking at the present moment then they can’t be bothered with even acknowledging you; you’re no longer in their favor.

What’s up with that?

And yes, I know I am probably being petty here but that’s okay, I’m human so I’m allowed.

I also know that I am sporadic online…I blog and twitter and facebook all very sporadically but that is because I try to create art every single day and it can be hard since I’m dealing with chronic illnesses and  trying to earn money through Etsy and Ebay since I can’t work anymore. But if I take the time to stop by your blog or your facebook and leave a note that says Hi, I’ve missed talking to you or whatever and you delete it, what does that say about what you think of me? Or what if I take the time to promote your latest online endeavor and you can’t even take two seconds to say thanks?

I just don’t get it.

Am I the only one that this sort of thing is/has happened to?  I hate feeling like I’m being a petty child but it hurts my feelings and makes me feel used and angry.

If I have done anything even remotely resembling this kind of thing to any of you, please let me know…I don’t EVER want to be that kind of person. Ever!

Off my soapbox now…
~Barb~

8 comments:

  1. Barb, I'm sorry to hear you sound so frustrated and a bit hurt by this. Friendships are like all other relationships, there is risk involved and the potential to be dissapointed. However, I'm so glad you are writing and puttng it out there, giving those friends you speak of a second chance (and if they don't take it, feel free to write them off) and acknowledging the risks we all take. hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you you feel you had to talk about this. Obvisiously they are not your friend at all. Please stop my lonely blog any time you wish, and know that you are my friend forever. Oh yea by the way, you always comment on my blog and I love ya for it as I have only about 3 folks that stop regularly. Thanx for being out there for my artful resourse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new Blog update looks great. Blog hurt is so real...sorry for your sadness and hurt. I just discovered your etsy2 shop. Congrats. Love the Lonely Tree. {I see the LOVE collage-painting. I hope this means you've found it!} Peace, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does happen to all of us...it's hard not to take it personally. Sometimes though life does get in the way. For example, the last two months have been insane for me and I haven't been able to do as much of everything that I have wanted to do...It's been a lot of traveling and teaching (the summer is like that for me). All that being said, I don't forget my friends and even if I don't leave a comment on a blog, etc... doesn't mean that I'm not thinking of the person and quietly lurking and waving hi at you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was ok with what happened to you as it is normal for folks who get really popular/busy to not respond back or such... but to delete what you posted?! That part just wasn't right. You can not ignore that.

    One of my favorite quotes I just posted on my FB the other day is:

    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him." — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

    Spend your time and energy on those who follow your adventures and never forget them when you become successful yourself. That is the best we can do for each other. I support those who support me. I know who will be there for me when I fall or who will still be there for me if I 'make it' and I won't be deleting their posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly what you mean, I have had this happen to me a number of times, there are a lot of people out there that just want to use you and toss you aside once they have gotten all the can out of you for themselves... As I like to say any relationship be it family, co-worker, school friend, lover etc. has to come from both sides, if one person is not putting in the effort to be a good friend and help when needed, listen when needed and give adivce or support when needed it truely not a good thing to have in my life.... unfortunatly we all need to weed through the bad to get to the good...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with what Kelly says that sometimes life does get in the way and the day-to-day busy-ness makes it difficult to keep up with everything and everybody that you would like to. That being said -- deleting a message is a whole other story. But there are many beautiful souls in blogland to bond with. Stick with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate that. I know that over the last few months I'vebeen super busy but I try and take the time to comment back on my blog.

    I too have promoted the hell out of someone only to have them turn on me in a second because I disagreed with them over how to respond to censorship. the response sucked, the email sucked, the comment on my blog sucked, getting all my comments ever deleted from her blog sucked. Getting kicked off her ning prompted me to create ArtJournaling.ning.com where everyone is welcome. You don't have to take a class with me or anyone else. There are free workshops by all sorts of great artists. And I love that I got burned and created something awesome due to it.

    Eff the haters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...