Saturday, July 31, 2010

30 Journals 30 Days

Being passionate about art journaling, I have been reading the “30 Journals 30 Days” series that Connie over at DirtyFootprints-Studio has been doing for the entire month of July. She’s covered many of my favorite art journalers and, as an added bonus, for the 31st day of July, all art journal junkies such as myself were invited to take part in this wonderful series…so here is my installment:

How long have you been Art Journaling?

I have kept a “diary” off and on for as long as I can remember but those consisted of only written word with the occasional doodle in the corner or along the edge. It wasn’t until 2008, while taking an online course with Suzy Blu, that I began to doodle in earnest and those doodles slowly turned into what my art journals consist of today.

IMG_0411

How has art journaling impacted, changed or enhanced your life?

I have suffered from depression and panic/anxiety disorder for over 20 years and have found that through my art journals I get so much relief from those horrid disorders. It is a private place (if I choose to keep it that way) that I can play, write what I want, experiment, say whatever is on my mind, empty my brain, go into a zen state that allows me to find some peace in the midst of the chaos that the world around me can be so full of…it is my place of solace. In addition to the health and creative benefits, both of which are huge to me, the art form has introduced me to some of the most awesome artists in the world. It is a common ground that I share with some of the very coolest and creative people around and that has opened doors of friendship and learning that I never would have found any other way.

Tears

What are a few of your favorite Art Journaling materials to use?

I have so many supplies that I love to use such as: acrylic paints, gesso, Sharpie water-based paint markers, magazine clippings, copies of my own photos, stamps, Staz-On inks, rub-ons, gel medium, collage pauge glossy or matte, Prismacolor colored pencils, Sakura jelly roll pens, Caran d’Ache watercolor crayons, Sumi ink, Portfolio water soluble oil pastels, Pan Pastels, Uni-ball Signo UM-153 White pens, letters and words cut from magazines, scrapbook papers and old text pages from books. Whew! That list could go on and on forever but I’d say those are my very favorites.

IMG_0120

Who are some of your favorite Art Journalers?

There are so many Art Journalists that I absolutely adore but my favorites would have to be, in no particular order:

Mary Ann Moss
Traci Bautista
Samantha Kira Harding
Teesha Moore
Ingrid Dijkers
Pam Carriker
Violette
Vivian Bonder
Dina Wakely

IMG_0582

What kind words of encouragement would you give to an Art Journal newbie?

Don’t worry about what the pages you create will turn out like, just go for it…smear your paint, play with your lettering, let yourself just relax and enjoy the process. Watch Youtube.com videos for ideas on different techniques but don’t worry yourself with trying to be perfect or recreate something you’ve seen…make the techniques your own. Make friends in the art journaling community and ask questions (we are some of the friendliest artists you’ll come across.) You will find your voice if you just keep at it…just keep playing and let it come and it will.

Live Well 

Where can we find you…give us some link LOVE???

My Blog, Craft Therapy
My Flickr
Twitter
Formations (my Art Journaling Tumblr)
My Etsy

Visualize

Short Bio:

Although I am originally from Hope, Arkansas (home of Fmr. President Bill Clinton, and yes, I do knoIMG_0462w him), I now live in Northwest Alabama, about 2 hours southeast of Memphis, Tennessee. I am a wife to the love of my life, mother to my two grown daughters, Nana to my precious grandboy, Noah, and step-mom to my autistic teenage son, Chad. I adore my family, even when they are my biggest stressors. I just celebrated my 45th birthday but I don’t feel like I’m 45 (except physically); I still feel like a kid inside.

Art is a huge part of my life and there is seldom that a day goes by that I am not creative in some way, often within the pages of my art journals. I paint, collage, draw, doodle, sew, make jewelry, revamp thrift store finds, and do some creative writing and am learning bookbinding. I love the creative process and hope to continue learning, experimenting and creating for the rest of my life.

I am currently working on my first Art Journaling workshop to be offered online as well as an Art Journaling eZine to be offered monthly beginning in the early fall.

My video (the only one I’ve done so far…but more are coming soon!):

 

I hope you’ve enjoyed this peek into me and my art journaling.

Back with Supply Saturday later this evening.

Peace & Love,
Barb

13 comments:

  1. Barb, I so appreciate you and your creativeness. And that's why I follow you daily. You are such an inspiration. Ezine and a Class?? Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the "Just Go For It" line. That's what I need to get started. I love looking at your work. It's time to create some of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview....Love your pages! I am such a fan of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pages, as many others do too. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great interview! i really love your pages - they oooze creative energy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! Love your journalling pages and your video!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barb, your style is wonderful. Your pages are so vibrant! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is truly wonderful, Barb. Thank you for the kind comment about my first carving! And, no, I didn't get it. I will be sad if it is lost...

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! Your work is absolutely too wonderful. Thank you for being an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yea and P.S. ..... I am from Texarkana, AR, so I certainly know where Hope is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. What gorgeous pages. I think I need to peruse your blog some more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your art style Bev,, I remember you from WreckThis Journal dont I? I'm doing the 30journals in 30 Days.. please come by and visit my blog
    hugs, judi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep on working, great job!

    Also visit my blog; como reconquistar

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...