Monday, December 28, 2009

Gifts and a Great Workshop

Y’all cracked me up, thinking that my oldest daughter was giving me a new grandbaby for Christmas. NOT!!

She gave me was a gift but….well, you know how sometimes someone gives you a gift that they are just positive you will L.O.V.E but the truth of the matter is you HATE it?  That’s what happened here.

I just don’t think you buy someone an art piece unless you know it’s from an artist they love or it is very much their colors and style.  This gift from my daughter, *sigh*, it is totally NOT me…at all.  It’s a 3 dimensional piece that was mass manufactured and is meant to resemble the two angels that seem to be everywhere.  Its done in gilded gold with a HUGE mirrored and floral accented frame in gold. Not my style in the least.

Seriously, it is gag-worthy.

But hey, I faked it. I smiled and fawned over it, just as any good mother would do but OMG, it’s horrid. I just can’t see where she got the idea that I would like this monstrosity. I guess the one good point is that it is not a new grandbaby. lol

Anyway, I have to say that I’m glad the holidays are over for the most part…I don’t count New Years as part of the holidays since we tend to spend it quietly at home…and life is slowly getting back to normal.

IMG_0412I’ve been doing lots of healing work in my journal. I love that I am finding such healing and this amazing steadying power through art journaling. I wish I had known years ago how much I could grow and learn and heal through this wonderful art practice.

IMG_0411

I gave myself a Christmas present, too.  I’m taking the wonderful Kelly Kilmer’s A Life Made by Hand workshop. Kelly is an amazing artist (and an amazing woman, I might add) and I’ve never been able to take a workshop from her in person, so this is the next best thing. YAY! 

I can’t wait to get started.  Class runs from January 1st through June 30, 2010 for $50 (that’s about $8 a month! $ 0.28 a day!)  If you are interested, and you really should be!, click the link above and join us…it’s going to be fantasmagoric! 

IMG_0413As for my pages here, I was just doing some soul spilling on that last one. Pfft, who am I kidding?  Most every journal page/spread I do is really just me spilling my soul onto the page(s). It’s what makes me feel better and lifts the weight of worry, pain, and thoughts off my shoulders. 

Now, to figure out what to do with this gaudy picture the oldest daughter bestowed on me. Ugh! lol

Peace & Love,
Barb

12 comments:

  1. let us see a photo of this gaudy golden gift...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. But... why did you fake it? You have told the entire internet now :-S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog a few days ago. I'm an Arkansas girl, transplanted to Southern California. I miss the south; I try to get back to Arkansas at least once a year, for a few weeks.

    I had to laugh at your story of the present from your daughter. Well told.

    I'm sorry to read that you are losing your house, but you seem to be taking it in stride. Good for you! Keep us informed, so we can all continue to send you good thoughts!

    I have the Serena Ward book, and I recall that I really liked it. Maybe I'll drag it off the bookshelf and read it again! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *LOVE* your journal pages.

    Awwwww thanks for the kind words. So happy to have you in class!!!!!!

    Eek-sorry about the gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Maria. What happens when your daughter reads what you've told the world? Maybe you can call her, gently explain and then ask if she'd mind if you used it for one of your art projects. Then you could riff off of it and make it your own. But tell your daughter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your journal is amazing and has given me the inspiration to start my own. I also looked at Kelly Kilmers blog amazing thanks. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful soul spilling that you are doing. I see that you have a wish list on your blog. This would be a good place for your daughter to get ideas the next time she is looking for a gift for you. Enjoy Kelly's class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, you did the same thing I do every time someone gives me one of those Thomas Kincaid things? Glad to have company in the faking dept ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Barb-What a delight to meet you! Your art journals are completely beautiful. They are so yummy and completely draw me in. Thanks so much for visiting my site. I'm so happy you'll be joining my quest to create more space for the things we love. I appreciate you and look forward to our journey together. (I'll be adding your blog link to my site this week!). Warmly, Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for sharing info about the class you will be taking in January. I had to go check it out and I signed up also. I cannot wait. This will be fun, the perfect start to a wonderful year on the horizon.

    Sorry about the angel. I bet you could do something to it where you might like it a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure S was just thinking...Angels. Mom likes angels. and she's into art, so I'll get her this art piece of angels.
    I'm sure her heart was in the right place. You know it was! But yes...I wound up with a stocking full of things the kids picked out...stinky lotion, chocolate chip body butter....(*YES..you read that right)...a calendar I won't use....
    but they mean well. They know I use lotion, and that I have Victoria's Secret body butter, and that I love calendars...so they tried!
    **HUGS**

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing Pages! I too am taking that class, should be awesome! I am a newbie at this and I wish I had known how fun and healing it could be, better late then never eh!

    As far as the gift , totally understand , I know it's the thought that counts, but sometimes you think , have we even met? When you get a gift that is so far from anything you have or like!

    I wish you many blessings and much joy in the coming new year... Again love the pages!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...