Thursday, November 19, 2009

Dia De Los Muertos

From October 28, 2009:

I lived in deep south Texas, on the border of Mexico, for almost ten years. In fact, my youngest daughter was born at Brownsville Medical Center and my room there had a fabulous view of the Rio Grande and further into Matamoros, Mexico…so I feel that the Hispanic culture is a very important part of my life. I embraced it fully while living there and enjoyed learning about and taking part in Cinco de Mayo, Dia de los Muertos, and other important traditions native to the culture.

Instead of doing a Halloween spread in my journal, I decided to embrace that part of my history.

Dia De Los Muertos

I know that before I lived there and made friends, I had no clue what the traditions and holidays were all about and “The Day of the Dead” was certainly one of those.  It wasn’t until it was explained to me that I came to understand what a beautiful holiday it really is.

To celebrate the lives of those we have loved and lost is such a wonderful way to honor them. To take time to remember and celebrate their lives with joy is the way that we should all do for those that are no longer living. I found it to be such an honest and loving way to commemorate those gone from this life and have taken that attitude to heart in my every day life. I share stories about my parents with my children and my husband more often these days…silly ones and sentimental ones. I keep loving them, even though they are gone.

Dia de los Muertos, The Day of the Dead…not so morbid after all, is it?

May your Halloween be filled with plenty of treats and why not incorporate a little culture into your life and do a little remembering of your loved ones who are gone this year?

Peace & Love,
Barb

1 comment:

  1. I L.O.V.E. your Dia De Los Muertos entry in your art journal!!!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...