Friday, February 20, 2009

Into the Depths

Sometimes when we dig deep into ourselves, we find more than we bargained for just waiting to come out.

Yesterday was one of those days for me…

Tears

This spread started as just a background that I had worked on for a bit with a brayer, colors the just seemed to call out at me and some of that wonderful old standby bubble wrap to stamp with…then I came across some pictures of myself as a little girl (one at age 4 and one at age 5).  After I put those on the pages, the pieces seemed to take on a life of their own.

I never realized what memory was the most prevalent for me at those ages.  I guess I do now.

Strangely, I feel better now.

In other news…

Thank you all so much for the overwhelming encouragement about my dream of giving an Art Journaling class. 

Because of everything y’all said, I’m plunging ahead into my dream…I’m working on securing a space to give the class, naming it, and continuing to work on my class outline and printable instructions (thanks to Merc’s suggestion).  Then I can work on making fliers, finding places to post them, working on enrollment, etc.

But one step at a time, right?

If anyone else has suggestions, I am all ears and willing to learn.  So many of you teach various different art techniques and I would benefit so much from any knowledge you want to share or any general tips, teaching methods, instructions, etc.  I am an open book and so willing to learn.  (Email me at: Craft4Therapy @ gmail.com but take out the spaces.)

You all are the best!  Thank you so much for your input and such wonderful cheering me on.  You’ve made me feel like it’s really possible…you’ve made me feel all warm and fuzzy and really confident about my dream.

Peace & Love,

11 comments:

  1. Barb,
    I wanted to let you know I do enjoy your blog so much it's a very happy place to coming to and full of wonder. I wanted to share with one thing that was passed down to me, well maybe two, teach what you know and share all that you can and amazing things will happen. You will do well and can't wait to hear about it shortly and spring is a great time to get started. Wishing you many students. but if you start off with two or three look out it will grow fast by word of month us women are good about that!! hehehe. Peace babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Barb! Your journal spread is beautiful and lovely, even if it is poignant. I don't know who broke your little girl heart, but here's some big {{{{HUGS!}}}}! Sometimes when we surface some of those painful memories, we can release them. Sounds like that's what happened for you. Good luck with your class! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your spread is lovely...while it sounds like you made a sad discovery from the outcome of the exercise...i want to point out that the page came to 'life' on its own...the whole process when it comes together like that...is so rewarding...even though you made a sad discovery...i am glad you said you felt better from the letting the memory go
    and there too is an importance to our inner exploration
    letting "it" go

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to recommend a great book on healing the inner child: Recovery of Your Inner Child by Lucia Capacchione, PhD. (You can find it on Amazon or at luciac.com) The author is an art therapist and I've trained with her. Her work is fabulously healing using art and journaling with both hands. You can heal that sad, hurt little girl of the past, wipe away her tears and bring a smile to her face. I have a hunch your artwork is doing just that, every single day. What a gift that she emerged in your art journal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barb, I loved looking at your layout. The style and technique alone would make it outstanding, but of course the pictures and the added message make it unforgettable. It's amazing that the message just flowed out unintentionally, and really such a great thing about art journaling is the freedom of expression it gives each of us. Thank you for sharing this.xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi barb, your pages speak to me, and isn't what just happened to you while creating those pages what it is all about? all the best with teaching, it will be wonderful i'm sure. if there is anything i can help you with, please pop me an email. can't wait to see where this journey will take you. bliss, vivian

    ReplyDelete
  7. One day I will somehow put little me onto my blog...you did good. All I can think to say is follow your dream...
    I am so happy to be getting to know you. Ruth is filling my blog right now, but soon I will share more of what I want to do, or would like to do. But for now this story has my time, I love little Ruth. Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I'll have to stop this! I just visited artsyville and you left a comment and look at your wonderful blog. Now I have yet another to come back and visit and there aren't enough hours in the day. Why am I up at 6.30am? I can't sleep! I'm often up in the night, I'm a real owl. I love those pages, they are so evocative. I make rag rugs, garden, make Artist Trading Cards and have a go at most things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you're following your teaching dreams - wonderful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barb -- I am so glad you are following your heart's calling you have a gift to share with others and most of all yourself....it is wonderful that you are displaying to the world how art can create healing, joy and laughter again in our souls....wishing you all the best in your new teaching adventures.
    Supria

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE these pages! And as someone else said up above, there aren't enough hours in a day to follow all of these blogs, but I must.
    I have only read briefly a couple of your posts & I am hooked...by your journey....by your creativity...maybe I will just have to delete a couple of the home decorating blogs. This is more my cup of tea....THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...