Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Babysteps at Paper Crafting


I've been playing around and learning a little about paper crafting. I wouldn't say that I am anywhere near good yet but I will say that I'm getting better.

The Cricut is making things fun.. I've done lots of cut things but nothing worthy of sharing...yet.

I'm getting there, slowly but surely, and am still working on my FAMILY wordbook but for now, I decided to step back a little and go a little simpler.

Since my creations aren't quite up to par with my Cricut, I decided to dabble in making cards to start with and this is the one that I made for my sister's birthday....

I still feel like it needed more embellishment but I also don't want to put too much on it so it looks over-done. It's just not a "flowery" kind of card, nor is it glittery, buttony or ribbonish.

In the end, I just decided to go with simplicity but it still looks like it's missing something. Like it's TOO simple, if you know what I mean.

Any ideas from any of you creative papercrafters or generally crafty friends of mine? I'd love to have your input...so please, do share!

I would appreciate it so much.

For the envelope, I just wanted it to be kinda cute but also to coordinate with the card, that's why I used the same stamp across the bottom of the envelope. The flowers are just to cutesy it up a little...yea, after I said it's not a flowery kind of card, I go and put flowers on it, huh?

I never said I make sense! LOL

I dunno...I sent it and I like it okay (I'm sure she'll like it, too, since it is handmade) but I want to progress and get better.

So give me your input!

Please?!?!?!

Happy Crafting!!!

Peace & Love,

Like this post?

Be sure to subscribe so you
Don't miss a crafty thing!

20 comments:

  1. I think the card looks nice, esp for a first try! I, too, am a fan of the emvelope pretties:) Something else I am a fan of are brads. They can add a little spice to cards w/o overdoing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this card, everything about it! Wish I had a sister so I could send her something like this.

    Nothinglikeit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job for a first try. I haven't tried this art yet, but it does look like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great card and well composed.

    You can tell stuff like that a couple of different ways. You might like going online and looking for 'compostion' +art or something similar.

    The easiest way I can think to tell you here is imagine the design with a line going from corner to corner - in both directions, a little like an X on the page (don't draw it tho!!!).

    See where things within the image lie.

    If it is a portrait or picture of some sort, you want things somewhere along this line, between the middle where they cross and the top. I usually pick the upper limbs of the X. It's just a preference.

    If you have a small cluster of people somewhere along that line, it is well composed.

    I suppose if you had sea shells on a beach, one of the lower locations would work well.

    Is that making any sense?

    A card with multiple elements like yours must look 'balanced' and it does.

    This probably means you have a knack for doing this.

    I tend to just place things on the paper and move them around until I'm happy - it usually works out! ;)

    And it probably will for you too!

    Have fun. I craft to relax and get away from working. I try real hard NOT to put any pressure on myself with it!

    Do keep sharing your creations, I'm enjoying them!!!

    Pam Hoffman
    http://seminarlist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card looks great to me, I like the simpler less cluttered look, it allows a person to focus on the pic and the text. Great job. What a change in your template! Nice...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to Micheals the other day adn now i know why you were so excited to get the Cri-Cut. Looks neat and your card is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow~ look at all the comments!!:)

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE that sister card!! LOVE IT.
    I need one just like it!!

    I love the cards like that. have you talked to Heather about doing them? She use to do them professionally, remember?

    I think you're off to a great start!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't that a blog redesign? It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your new digs!
    How do you find the time to do everything?

    ReplyDelete
  10. great work...love the new blog look! keep being crafty!
    moooah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey! I like what you've done around here! Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the card! So funny and cute! The only thing I think would add to it, would be some sort of metal charm on the front, to give it a vintage/nostalgic look (and maybe catch the recipient by surprise, when she opens it).

    Thanks for the tag! I'll try and get around to it this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the card and I really like the statements you put on them - esp inside the card. :) I have a sister so I hope you don't mind if I use it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I forgot to say that I've seen the cricut infomercials and think it's so cool. I'm trying to talk myself out of it cause I know I wouldn't have the time to use it like I think I would.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's cool crafting
    Even I don't know much about it
    But I like it
    By the way
    I want to introduce my site, the content about painting
    If you don’t mind you can visit my blog and give the comment about my painting
    If you interested to be painted, you are welcome 

    Leet Gallery
    http://leet-gallery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. ryc: LOL...that's what I'm afraid of. I still wouldn't mind a ring..but I'm really not ready to get married anymore. It's nothing to do with him...I just am fine having my own place and stuff. Of course..tonight I WAS hoping for some alone time with him..but his friggin BP is 150/105 so he's in the bed. GRRRR..and I'm pms-ing, and not happy at ALL about being home all alone again.
    grrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  17. POWER TO YOU! I love to see others be cheap too and do go for the Earth at the same time! Rock on. Great tutorial! I don't know if you know this but you can get those boxes shipped to you for free if you go to the Postal Service website.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...