Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Sea Salt Scrub

Crafty Blog of the Day: Maternal Spark
There is so much crafty (and motherly) goodness at Maternal Spark
that it's just one of those blogs that you have to venture over and
check out to understand. Be sure to look at the cool cupcakes from a
couple of days ago...and be sure to drop a comment
and say Barb the Craft Junkie sent ya!

============================================

Bath and body things are not normally in my crafting bag o' tricks but I realized that there is this one little something that I've been making for years that others might be interested in...so time to share!

There is a well known beauty and skin care company (I won't mention any names cause they are uber freaky about someone stealing from them or selling their products without purchasing from them...but it's pronounced "R-Bon", catch my drift?)....anyway, I bought this very cool body scrub from my old boss's wife and fell in LOVE with it. But the $28.00 price tag was a bit steep for me and my dollar store mentality...so I decided I could make it myself and began experimenting.

After many failed (and some really smelly attempts), I finally came up with a great and cheap replacement for the high dollar stuff that I like just as well (if not more, since it is wayyyyy cheaper.)

The benefit of it is that I never have dry skin on my arms or legs nor those flaky elbows or knees anymore...ever! Even my feet (and I have diabetes so my feet are of big concern for me) are soft and no longer have ugly, cracked dry skin around my heels. This stuff is a miracle potion for skin, if ever there was one. It literally makes you glow (just don't use it on your face...trust me on that one. lol)

Now, let's get you some made up, okay? And if you need a nice gift for teachers or a friend, make them a nice one in a pretty jar, or even a set if it's a good friend, and they will thank you forever!

Ingredients:
A Jar to put it in, of course
1 cup of coarse sea salt. (It's gotta be sea salt...your grocer will have it and it's not expensive...I pay under $2 for a 2 cup container.)
1/8 cup of extra virgin olive oil, the lighter the better
4-8 (up to you) capsules of vitamin E
2+ tablespoons of water
1-2 drops of essential oil (I love lavender for night-time as it's very relaxing and use citrus for morning because it's rejuvenating and wakes me up...but your scent is up to you and you don't have to scent it if you don't want but why skip it? I don't know why you couldn't add a bit of your favorite perfume and experiment with it to layer your favorite scent that way...but I'm babbling, aren't I?)


In a large glass bowl (cause the scent will permeate a plastic bowl), dump your cup of sea salt. Over the top of the mound of salt, drip your olive oil around (or walnut oil or I have used coconut oil and it is lovely and very moisturizing, but most of us have olive oil in the kitchen so just go with what you have for your fist batch...even baby oil will work.)

Now, add your vitamin E oil by piercing the capsules and squeezing the oil out onto the salt then add 2 tablespoons of your water. I use regular tap water cause heck, that's what I'm bathing in so I might as well, right? Now, add your first DROP of essential oil. Now, using a whisk that you don't plan on using for food anymore or else that you're going to boil the tar out, begin working the oil, water and "scent" into the salt. Mix very well and then look, feel and smell. is it really dry? Continue adding water by the tablespoon until it seems every granule is coated. Is it strongly scented or very faint/light? Adjust the scent to your liking by adding another drop and continue mixing.

Once mixed to your liking, try it on your hands. Wet them, then add a small amount and scrub like you are soaping up, rinse and dry. Nice huh? Yep, I told ya!

To use, I shampoo then use my regular body wash to get clean and finish off by scooping out a little of my sea salt scrub (which, btw, are kept in glass jars in my shower but I keep the jars in rubber drink koozies to keep them from breaking in the shower) with my fingers and begin scrubbing those dry areas and then rinse. It makes my skin silky smooth and leaves a light scent on my skin so that I seldom wear perfume anymore, either.

Let me know how it works out for you and what kind of fabulous scents you come up with, too.

Take care & happy crafting!

Peace & Love,
Like this post?

Be sure to subscribe so you
Don't miss a crafty thing!

18 comments:

  1. I'll need to try this! I have some lavender oil that's been hanging around for awhile and I needed to find a good use for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, thanks for sharing the end results of your trial-and-erroring!! I live in a very dry climate, plus we're doing lots of pool swimming this summer (the chlorine is super drying to my skin), so my skin is suffering from a double dose of drying factors. Especially my feet. Can't wait to make some of this and share with my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yowzers!, im excited to try this one out. I especially love the idea of giving it as a gift. its on my list of bookmarks :)
    thanks for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the "secret." I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all of your crafty goodness lately, this is one I am certainly going to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when a woman wants to share beauty secrets with other women (oh, this is also good for the men in your life, secretly they love being soft and wonderful too).
    Thought it was good enough to Digg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, great post. I just dugg it. I'm michaelwong38 on digg.com.
    Also was wondering if you'd like to exchange links with me?
    If yes, please leave your blog url as a comment at:
    http://bigmoneylist.blogspot.com/
    I'll link to you first, then when you have time link back k?
    Thanks, Michael
    BTW--I'm michaelwong38 on digg. If ever you want something dugg, just send me a shout anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the linky love! I gave you a digg, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Maybe I'll make some up tonight - I think I have all the supplies!
    Thanks!
    Jen @
    http://happyfibrofamily.today.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing is more important than the person inside. Therapy exits for the person inside; it has no other purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea...sounds wonderful...you are a talented lady!!!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog and really like this sea salt scrub. It's really cool that we can do it on our own. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey you Junkie you! No I have not made the scrub yet, I have to go to the store and buy some sea salt and I have not got off my behind to do it yet..Selling it sounds like a really great idea and it most likely would sell, but I wonder about the shipping costs of it? I know here in Canada the shipping costs would be high. I hope your having a crafty good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finally made a batch of this today. Used one drop of peppermint essential oil cuz that's all I had, but it smells fabulous. Felt great on my feet. Can't wait to see the results after a week or two of using the scrub. Also can't wait to make a batch to give to my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, This looks pretty easy . I'm going to try it.

    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. omigod, i HAVE some of that R-Bon stuff that i adore and have been eeking out tad by tad because i cannot see spending that much (bought it from a friend who thought he was going to get rich being a seller of their stuff), and NOW i can make it myself! and not have to be stingy with it! do you know, by the way, how to get that scent theirs has? i don't want to buy a bunch of various essential oils because that's not stuff i'll use for anything else.

    great post--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have done this, but I used sugar for mine. It's not as course and I find that it melts a little better! I also used mineral oil with no scent (because I have eczema, I need non-fragrance things). I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is what sea water is good for! I just love taking baths with sea salt..They relax me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...