Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Shrink Plastic Jewelry Tutorial, Part II

Crafty Blog of the Day: Indie/Pretty/Perfect

This is a wonderfully inovative blog that features interviews
(and LOTS of photos of beautiful creations) from various
crafters and artists. Unbelievable finds. You must check it out!
Be sure to tell her where you found out about her from, too.

============================================

As promised, I got up bright and early this morning to finish my Shrink Plastic Jewelry Tutorial...only to find that the pictures I had taken of the "Dream" piece we began working on had been deleted from my camera and from my laptop.

Ugh!

So, we shall pick up where we left off but by using a new piece (a very quickly produced one, so forgive me).

If you haven't read Part I of the Shrink Jewelry Tutorial, check it out HERE before continuing on with this post or you won't know how we got to this point. *smile*

Now, everyone caught up and ready?

Good!

Here we go....

1. Here is our hastily picked out design...hearts made of roses. Cute (but not exactly my style) and quick...so we draw our design with our trusty colored pencils.










2. Here's our design, back side colored (and the excess ink has been wiped off lightening the color saturation) with a pink highlighter.

This is pretty much where we left off in Part I of the tutorial but I thought I'd get you all up to speed.

Now.....





3. Time to punch holes for your cording, jump rings, or however you have decided to attach your piece to your jewelry.

I know that the regular size hole punch looks rather HUGE but remember, everything about the piece shrinks down when we "cook" it, including hole size so we need a large hole to begin with.




4. Since this piece is intended to be a bracelet, I have punched holes in each end, as shown here. (The plastic punches easily, in case you were wondering.)










5. Now it's time for you to preheat your oven. I use a $20 toaster oven that I bought at Wal-Mart specifically for making Shrink Plastic items (the kitchen oven takes forever to preheat and uses too much electricity considering how often I tend to use it) but you can use a regular oven.

350 is the approximate temperature for shrinking your items in the kitchen oven but I've found that 350 is a bit hot for the toaster oven, so I set it at about 325.


6. While your oven/toaster oven preheats, place your piece to be shrunk on either brown paper (recycled brown paper bag, maybe?) or you can do what I do...I use (and re-use over and over again) the thick cardboard backing from a legal notepad. If using brown paper, make sure to use a small cookie sheet to keep the brown paper from catching fire (don't want anyone's house burning down for the sake of making shrinky art! lol) and the same goes if using a toaster oven...but the legal pad cardboard can be placed in your regular oven without a cookie sheet (you'll still need a pot holder to get it out, trust me!)


7. Time to shrink! Place your cookie sheet with brown paper/cardboard and your piece to shrink in your oven/toaster oven...and, I can't stress this enough, WATCH IT CLOSELY!!! Turning away for even a few seconds can ruin a good piece or be a smoking/fire hazard. Besides, it's cool to watch it shrink and shrivel and look like it's totally ruined, only to see.....








8. ...that it has miraculously gone from distorted and misshapen back to flat and much smaller and thicker than before. YEA!!!









9. This was a hard step to get a picture of but once your piece is completely flattened back out in the oven, leave it for another 5-10 seconds (to heat it through) then remove it from the oven (don't forget the pot holder!) and immediately pick the piece up (use a bamboo skewer or Popsicle stick if you're apprehensive about the heat but I use my fingers and have never been burned) and, if making a bracelet, place your piece around a jar to get a curve to it. Otherwise, if you're wanting your piece to remain flat, just let it cool for about 15-20 second then it's safe to pick up without fear of burning.

10. As I told y'all (hey, I'm southern, we say "y'all" a whole lot), this was a quickie so the curve on this piece didn't turn out too perfect.

Never fear. If this happens to you, just place your piece back on your paper/cardboard (never use corrugated cardboard, by the way!) lined cookie tray and pop it back in your heated oven and watch for it to flatten back out (it will, just be patient) then take it out and try again. It takes a little practice.




11. (Here's our piece from Part I) But after a while you get the hang of it and your pieces start looking better and better....












12. And with your imagination and creativity, you can turn them into some really great pieces of jewelry.

I admit it, I love this piece. lol

I hope you all like this long, drawn out tutorial...I'm just sorry it took so long for me to finish it. It was fun to make and show how much work really does go into the pieces I make and have for sale on my Etsy.

Now, it's probably time I get to work on some new things for the shop, don't ya think?

Back in a day or two with something new. Until then be safe and happy crafting!

Peace & Love,

Like this post?
Be sure to subscribe so you
Don't miss a crafty thing!

29 comments:

  1. I am so excited about this site - I'm sure I will visit often!

    I have family in Hamilton - good to see someone from there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial! I hadn't thought to use the toaster oven. That makes a lot of sense. Love the bracelet idea! Maybe I'll be brave and try these again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I read the tutorial and being a guy and not he least bit crafty, at least in jewelry making, I don't think I shall ever use that info, but found it interesting none the less. One thing I might offer is for you to check out your page on Firefox. The orange background makes it hard to read some of the black type.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see a better feed link... Check out feedburner.com. I'd really LOVE to subscribe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, thanks for making this tutorial!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun, fun, site! glad i found you!
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bracelet. I'm going to try this. Thanks for the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another make over, nice! I like this one better. I really enjoyed part 2 of your tut, I was looking forward to it and was not disappointed. Very well done and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Love the new blog layout, and what a cute idea to make bracelet charms with the shrinky dink stuff... yay!!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got into making shrink art jewelry myself. Good tutorial. I'd like to point out that you can buy hole punchers that have a smaller hole punch size. I bought a 1/8" hole puncher at Hobby Lobby and it makes perfect size holes for jump rings after the plastic shrinks. You can see on this skull pendant I did how small the hole is on it and how it is the perfect size for the jump ring..... http://earthtodavid.com/2008/05/30/my-first-tribal-skull-dog-tag/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooops! I tried to paste the address to the skull pendant I made in my last comment but it didn't show up right. So just click on my name in this comment to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you have a heat embossing gun? You can also place the shrink piece on a spare floor tile and shrink with an embossing tool....it can give you better control than using a toaster oven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow I think your TUT is really easy to follow and what an amazing process - like magic! I'm off to check out your Etsy store!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am 40 plus man, so, this one, is a bit out of my sphere of something to try. However, you really do a great job explaining how to create crafts! So, I am going to keep reading your site and hopefully you will have a topic for me to try and make something to break. I am also a bird lover, so, I also will be looking for toys for my parrot to chew on ...LOL

    Great page!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea and have gone and purchased some shrink plastic. I will send you a link when I have something finished.
    I have in the meantime, I have put your link on my site.
    thumbelinabeadedcreations.blogspot.com
    Thanks,
    Jonquil

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh wow!

    that tutorial looked like so much fun, I've seen a few tutorials with the shrink plastic and I've been dying to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank for sharing this!
    Ahwww... this is a really beautiful and simple..
    ;D

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is an adorable piece. I love jewelry and this would make a fabulous gift.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks for making this tutorial!
    very useful for me

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely outcome! Love your tutorials. Will definitely use them in the near future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi sister ,
    how are you i am intrested to do this Shrink Plastic Jewelry Tutorial,

    where to get the plastic for this tutorial i am new to jewelry Art
    thanks
    WomenTrip

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW! That's the first good use I've seen for shrinky dinks! I can't wait to show this to my daughter! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is going into my summer projects for the kids list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aww, great post! I've been wanting to try shrink plastic but have been apprehensive. The "dream" bracelet is gorgeous and it makes me want to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awe-some! I have to get some Shrinky Dinks tonight and try this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for a simple tutorial and great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your tutorials!! Thanks for sharing. I will link in an upcoming blog post. Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your shrink plastic tutorial is an awesome inspiration! Many thanks for sharing. I would like to feature your designs at http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/

    Contact me here if you have a concern.

    Jane
    http://diylessons.org/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for sharing the tutorial! I have never made jewelry but love the shrinky! Definitely want to try this one. I added this to my links of crafts I want to try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...