Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bags, Bags, and more Bags

Crafty Blog of the Day: Divinely Crafty

Another of my wonderful finds from the world of Entrecard.
Katie is eclectic in her crafting, something I can relate to...
Just lots of fun girl talk and plenty of creativity.
Check her out and tell her Craft Junkie sent ya!

============================================

Oh yes, I am in a crafty mood today and I am so ready to get at it...but first! First I have to tell you about the most awesome blog post that you all really must check out.

Wait, let me give you a little preface...(once again my southern self comes shining through...Momma always said being southern means we believe in the "why use 5 words when 50 will do?" way of living. *chuckle*)

Anyway, where was I? Oh yea, preface....

I am striving to be more "green" in my lifestyle. I do believe that one person can make a difference and if I don't start with me, then who will? (I promise, I won't be on the soapbox long, so bear with me.) Anyway, I've changed almost every lightbulb in the house (and we have a BIG house) to compact fluorescent bulbs, we've gone through and added more insulation and leak proofed our house to save on heating and cooling, all of our appliances are now Energystar, the dishwasher only runs when full and I hand wash much of our dishes, I wash fewer loads of clothes by making bigger loads less often and am actually hanging some of them out instead of using the dryer every load, I'm diving less than ever, blah, blah, blah, etc and so on.

The point is, you can see, I'm trying to do my part.

But plastic shopping bags...they have been my downfall. I have two reusable bags but on grocery day, it was never enough, so I would wind up with 10 or 12 icky plastic bags from the grocery store.

I hate plastic bags. I have recycled them by making fused bags and sewing them into things that can be useful but still...they are the bane of my greener existence.

So, once again, I am going to lead you to the wonderful Jean9 over at Lapidary Queen Wannabees for an awesome, easy, cheap (free?) way to get mucho reusable shopping bags. Hey, this one is even for the guys cause these can be made very man friendly and they're super easy (not that you guys couldn't do it if it was hard buy hey, not all men are crafty *smile*).

Check out her tutorial for Shopping Bags from Old T-Shirts. It's awesome!

As for me, I made 4 of them last night in about 30 minutes...uber easy, I tell ya.

Now, on the agenda for today, I also began making myself a new purse last night while I had the sewing machine whirring. My mother-in-law is an awesome seamstress but I like to sew, too, and I saw a chick (yea, I'm a woman so I can call other women "chicks"...men, do NOT try this at home) carrying the cutest purse/tote/bag in the grocery store the other day and decided that I absolutely, positively MUST have one like it.

It's something similar to this one (and to give credit where credit is due, the one pictured here was made by t00taloo and can be found for sale HERE). I've found quite a few on Etsy and ioffer.com, but when it's something that I can make myself, I feel so wasteful buying it. I mean, I can't make jeans, so I buy them...I can't make flour, so I buy it...but I can make brownies (which I'm craving, by the way, that's how brownies snuck their way into the whole purse conversation) so I make them myself....and, by golly, I can make this purse.

So I am!

And the plan is to finish it this morning...if I ever get off the computer. *smirk* Or maybe this afternoon. lol

But isn't this cute? The colors I'm working with (all reclaimed fabric, by the way...gotta be green, ya know?) are yellows and oranges. If it turns out well, I will probably make a few more in different colors, too...and I'm sure I'll be adding them to my Etsy at some point.

I couldn't find an online free pattern so I'm winging it by looking at pictures and just using my ingenuity (which has been known to fail me, but I digress) so we'll see how it turns out. Hopefully I'll have a fantabulous bag to take pics of and share with you in the morning. *crosses fingers*

Peace & Love,

Like this post?
Be sure to subscribe so you
Don't miss a crafty thing!

13 comments:

  1. I love this bag!!
    What's the finished size?
    How long are the handles? Is it something you can use as a shoulder tote?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the t-shirt bag idea!!! I am not a seamstress, nor do I own a sewing machine, but this is something that I could even hand sew, as long as I was sure to make it good & reinforced so my groceries didn't explode out the end... and let me just say that I think this idea, in combination w/the freezer wrap stencil project, will make for a mighty fine lookin bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love to sew & don't do it enough. You made me want to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bag! I used to earn a living with my sewing machine, but after I gave that up I hardly use my machine. Your post makes me want to make something really fun to! Thank you for the mention about my t-shirt bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link love!

    It's been a heck of a week so I haven't posted much but I think I had better get off my duff now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bag...I used to sew but haven't done any in probably ten years...funny how we get away from doing something...

    Love the polka dots and the green...very cool look..
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya I really like the bag that you have in your etsy shop as well. Thanks for supporting me with the voting over at Jewelry Galore. Have a super day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow very crafty and creative. It is a talent to be able to make stuff like that just on your own ingenuity! If I make anything I need step by step instructions. I also checked out the t-shirt bags. That is cool. I've been trying to use the reusable kind more too. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. Have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog. I just bookmarked you into my 'regulars' list. :-) I love a good crafty blog and yours is great. I love your Etsy shop too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats. on going green - you are well on your way! And the bag is great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a lovely item! I hope I can see your finished product - would you be so kind as to alert me when you post your finished item? i don't drop EC everyday so i might miss it altogether.

    i am a frustrated seamstress - i like to have the skill but my commitment to learn does not match up. i don't know whose fault it is, though so don't ask me - he he he!

    nice blog, by the way. bye!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by. I am open to any comments, questions, suggestions, critiques, etc, so lay it on me...
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...